In 5-4 vote, Supreme Court allows restrictions on transgender troops to take effect

Ya boi Kavanaugh with the clutch vote. Would has swung the other way with Kennedy.

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed President Donald Trump’s restrictions on military service by transgender people to go into effect.

In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court lifted nationwide injunctions preventing implementation of the policy, report the New York Times and the Washington Post. The injunctions had been issued by federal judges in California and Washington state.

The four justices in the minority were Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen G. Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan.

The policy generally bans people from the military with a diagnosis of gender dysphoria who require medical treatment to change their gender. Also banned from the military are transgender people who have undergone gender transition.

But transgender people without a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria who are otherwise qualified for service may serve “in their biological sex.” Also allowed to continue serving are transgender people who already are serving openly in the military.

On Jan. 4, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit dissolved another injunction that had blocked the restrictions.

The American Civil Liberties Union noted in a tweet that the Supreme Court did not lift a nationwide injunction in its Maryland case, Stone v. Trump .

Technically, the Maryland injunction still stands, according to the Washington Blade. But the U.S. Justice Department will likely be back in Maryland federal court renewing its motion to stay the injunction in light of the Supreme Court’s action, said Sharon McGowan, legal director for Lambda Legal, in a Washington Blade interview.

In his request for emergency relief, Solicitor General Noel J. Francisco said nationwide injunctions blocking the president’s policy initiatives are an unfortunate growing trend.

“Such injunctions previously were rare, but in recent years they have become routine,” Francisco told the Supreme Court. “In less than two years, federal courts have issued 25 of them, blocking a wide range of significant policies involving national security, national defense, immigration and domestic issues.”

The Supreme Court acted in two cases, Trump v. Karnoski and Trump v. Stockman .

Todd A. Weiler, the former assistant secretary of defense for manpower and reserve affairs, was part of the team that implemented the original policy permitting transgender service. In a statement after the Supreme Court acted on Tuesday, Weiler said the military “must be a mirror of the nation.”

“The military struggles to make recruitment numbers, and unfortunately we continue to see the same families and communities bearing the brunt of service to nation,” he said. “To artificially restrict service to those that look or act a certain way is to make our country less safe and our military less ready.”

4 Likes

This is so stupid, I mean are the left that desperate for attention that they have disrupt society?

It’s bad enough we allow pre op transmen to use women’s bathroom, its bad enough that you have to refer to these people as the gender they want to be known by

But the military is sacred, we need people who are not psychologically damaged , if a man thinks he is woman and wants to join the military and fight on the battlefield do they not think that it could be disruptive to the unit?

What is stopping a transgendered woman to compete in the MMA women’s division, or women’s professional sports?

I hear there was a transgendered woman in a beauty contest too.

Enough is enough

2 Likes

It gives me hope that if SCOTUS hears a case involving transgender athletes, it may rule that they can be restricted to competitions involving their original biological gender.

It is ludicrous to allow a male-to-female freak to be awarded trophies in female sports competitions.

I must have missed this one. Good news!!

1 Like

Nice to see some common sense returning to both the court and the US Military.

Anything that negatively affects “Good Order and Discipline” or that may compromise mission readiness or success has no place in our armed forces.

1 Like

I wonder which military geniuses allowed this stuff in the first place.

We still need at least one more conservative SCOTUS judge. Both Roberts and Kavanaugh are too “squishy” for my liking.

No doubt we got an upgrade when Kav’gh replaced Kennedy, but I still want to score the insurance run in the current inning.

3 Likes

I agree, especially Roberts. He screwed royally us on gay marriage and Obamacare.

I agree. That’s yet another reason that Trump MUST be reelected.

Get out and volunteer.

Obama ordered it. …

1 Like

We need another justice of Thomas’ character and philosophy to replace Ginsburg.

That is what the left fears more than anything and will drive the insanity in 2020.

One more seat and they will lose sixty years of “progressive” court rulings and they know it.

When that happens their whole power base implodes.

1 Like

Could you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if Trump were to find another black justice for SCOTUS who has the same philosophy as Justice Thomas? Oh man, head would explode.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s one out there somewhere. How about a cross between Walter Williams and Thomas who’s still in his/her thirties?

Trump will pick that lady from Notre Dame when Gingrich vacates the seat.

And that will generate the same wailing and gnashing. It will be epic.

1 Like

If the SCOTUS can limit transgender participation in the military, why should not it be able to limit transgender participation in gender-defined sports competition?

It is ludicrous that males calling themselves females are permitted to destroy the records and athletic scholarship hopes of real female students.

Give the freaks their own sports venues. Call it “Confused Track and Field Meet”.

What a bunch of screwed up people!

They can. As yet though I don’t know of any cases in the federal courts much less at the appellate or SCOTUS level.

Find a lawyer and file the lawsuit. (Actually, I expect enough women will get fed up with this and it will happen eventually. Problem is, so many of them are also “woke” and are willing to absorb the inequity for the sake of the cause.)

We’ll probably see quite a few of them filed immediately following the 2020 election by “Women’s Groups”.

They don’t want to rock the boat going into a presidential election year.