Immigration Policies- Why Force It Upon Someone Else?

We are not Mexico therefore there is no double standard.

It is globally. People expect the U.S. to take care of illegal immigrants, but don’t make a peep when Mexico treats its non-citizens horribly.

It’s all a political stunt.

1 Like

Why should they. Mexico has a law and enforces their law. It is rather difficult to criticize rules that a country has made that they enforce.

We have laws. But our laws are not enforced. Enter confusion, loopholes and exploitation.

2 Likes

I see your point.

No need to look further to see their blatant hypocrisy then when Canada closed its borders to those wishing to flee the newly Trump run government and there were millions of jovial cries of “sanctuary City” being heard clear across the US-Canadian border. It was so loud it even bothered the French Canadians. :wink:

2 Likes

An illegal immigrant commits a crime every time they cross the border.

Not likely… . Not at all.

Wrong. The first time you cross illegally it is both a civil violation and a misdemeanor crime.

Each subsequent reentry is a felony. Somehow though I’m sure you knew that.

(a)Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection; misrepresentation and concealment of facts

Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

(b)Improper time or place; civil penaltiesAny alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to enter) the United Statesat a time or place other than as designated by immigration officersshall be subject to a civil penalty of—

(1)

at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or

(2)

twice the amount specified in paragraph (1) in the case of an alien who has been previously subject to a civil penalty under this subsection.

Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be imposed.

(c)Marriage fraud

Any individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or fined not more than $250,000, or both.

(d)Immigration-related entrepreneurship fraud

Any individual who knowingly establishes a commercial enterprise for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined in accordance with title 18, or both.

(June 27, 1952, ch. 477, title II, ch. 8, § 275, 66 Stat. 229; Pub. L. 99–639, § 2(d), Nov. 10, 1986, 100 Stat. 3542; Pub. L. 101–649, title I, § 121(b)(3), title V, § 543(b)(2), Nov. 29, 1990, 104 Stat. 4994, 5059; Pub. L. 102–232, title III, § 306(c)(3), Dec. 12, 1991, 105 Stat. 1752; Pub. L. 104–208, div. C, title I, § 105(a), Sept. 30, 1996, 110 Stat. 3009–556.)

U.S. Code Toolbox

Law about… Articles from Wex

Table of Popular Names

Parallel Table of Authorities

How current is this?

47.5K181

Try again.

Fear of prosecution and deportation would be a great deterrent.

Anyone who is here illegally should live in fear of both.

Anyone overstaying a visa is “unlawfully present in the US”. If such a person is found by ICE they will be detained and deported.

You are making a point I wasn’t making. You aren’t committing a crime by overstaying your visa. But yes you can be detained and deport if ICE finds you or visits you while in lawful custody of the police (this second point is key in sanctuary cities).

As long as you remain in the US with an expired visa you are “unlawfully present”.

We don’t deport people who aren’t in violation of the law.

Not so, according to our obviously liberal friend here, those are the only people we deport.

Still not a crime…

And there was me thinking that undocumented means that you didn’t enter the country legally, which means you entered illegally, which means you committed a crime :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

That would require thinking independently instead of being spoon fed what they believe. I have yet to meet a self proclaimed liberal who is also good at critical thinking. I know plenty of fellow libertarians who are though. Imagine that.

2 Likes

Yeah well he says you’re wrong. Don’t believe him? Just ask him. He’ll tell you again. :laughing:

3 Likes

That last sentence is true.

“Imposed” is everyone’s favorite slur for a policy they do not like. If a person doesn’t agree with the way the world is organized, then that arrangement is imposed on them.

Do you mean to say it is not a felony instead of saying that it is not a crime?

Oh all the sudden you want to discuss sunbstance? What happened to insulting the other person’s intelligence?

1 Like

4e84726d256bb8c19239579b14512b8bfd796b4c85170981abed514a1981ee1d

5 Likes