If only the right could get their shit together

Spending continues out of control thanks to a fractured party. The Dems can get their shit together to support a Zero candidate, continue the massive spending, continue the open border policy, keep any bill that keeps illegals from voting, yet the right cannot curb spending by a dime. The end grows nearer with every inaction by the right.

House GOP feels déjà vu as new funding fight ends with no wins

by Emily Brooks and Mychael Schnell - 09/25/24 6:00 AM ET

House Republicans are feeling dejected as they prepare to kick yet another shutdown deadline down the road without securing major wins, an outcome some blame on their own dysfunction.

Once again, even though they have the House majority, Republicans will rely on dozens of Democrats to pass a three-month funding extension.

They can’t pass the bill with just GOP votes because of opposition from hard-line conservatives. And because they have to rely on House Democrats to move forward, they hold zero leverage with the Democratic Senate.

Wednesday’s vote will be the final legislative action in the House before the election, and it will be symbolic of the disputes that have dogged the House GOP conference over the last 21 months. It has contributed to a pair of Speaker fights, multiple embarrassing failed votes on the floor and infighting that has spilled into the public view.

“If you’ve been here more than like, a year, it’s all the same thing over and over again,” said Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), a former chair of the conservative House Freedom Caucus.

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), facing pressure from his right flank and former President Trump, staged a vote last week on a six-month stopgap paired with a bill that would require proof of citizenship to vote in U.S. elections.

That package was never going to muster enough support to become law given opposition from Senate Democrats and the White House, which noted that it is already illegal for non-U.S. citizens to vote in elections and argued that the law could burden already eligible voters. But Republicans plowed ahead, hoping to increase their leverage with Senate Democrats.

Fourteen House Republicans, however, thwarted the strategy when they voted down the six-month stopgap paired with the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act, dealing a blow to Johnson and undermining his ability to secure conservative wins. The 14 lawmakers included hard-line conservatives outraged at the lack of spending cuts, and defense hawks concerned about the impact a six-month measure would have at the Pentagon.

Some Republicans — including those who in the past have been rabble-rousers on the right flank — are now aiming their fire at those hard-liners for torpedoing Johnson’s opening salvo, which, they say, led to the less-than-desired stopgap until Dec. 20.

“They did try, in their defense, to do the SAVE Act first,” Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fla.) said of House leadership, “but there were people that voted against that that wanted an omnibus.”

Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), a leading proponent of the SAVE Act, staked his opposition to the Dec. 20 stopgap before launching a jab at the 14 GOP lawmakers for foiling the Speaker’s strategy. Their efforts, Roy said, are influencing the rather muted anger conservative Republicans are exhibiting.

“I’m strongly opposed to putting a three-month [continuing resolution] on the floor, I don’t think we should do that. But I will say that when people who criticize that were the ones that created the environment that led to that, then it’s harder to get animated,” Roy said.

“Certain members of the conference were wrong to bind his hands to be able to have a strategy we could go fight for,” he later added.

Johnson argued Tuesday that the three-month stopgap, even if it was not what Republicans wanted, prevented the Senate from stuffing it with extra funding that the House GOP would dislike more.

But adding insult to injury, Johnson was forced to change the process for bringing the legislation to the floor after Republican opposition threatened to sink a procedural vote. That forced Johnson to bring the bill up Wednesday under a suspension of House rules, cementing the GOP’s need for Democratic help.

Despite those setbacks, many Republicans are holding back attacks on Johnson, recognizing the difficult situation he is in.

“Speaker Johnson’s doing his best with like, a zero-vote majority, you know, and fighting against this huge machine that is D.C. in a presidential election year,” said Rep. Clay Higgins (R-La.), who was the lead sponsor of the six-month continuing resolution that failed last week.

Higgins, nonetheless, said he will likely vote no on the three-month stopgap.

Wednesday’s vote does raise questions about Johnson’s prospects of remaining atop the House GOP in the next Congress. He already survived one attempt to oust him from the Speakership, spearheaded by Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), after winning the gavel following last year’s whirlwind Speaker saga.

Members overwhelmingly recognize that Johnson’s political future will be most impacted by whether Republicans win the House, and by how many seats. But his handling of legislative matters like spending — which animate GOP antagonists in the House the most — is also important.

One of the biggest fears of hard-line conservatives — and why they were pushing for a six-month timeline — is that the Dec. 20 shutdown deadline will tee up a massive end-of-year omnibus spending package that will be loaded with priorities of the lame-duck Biden administration.

Johnson on Tuesday promised that the House would not approve a “Christmas omnibus.”

“We have broken the Christmas omni, and I have no intention of going back to that terrible tradition,” Johnson said, also ruling out any kind of “minibus” that funds great gobs of government by combining several of the 12 regular appropriations bills.

Apparently no -one gives a fuck anymore the GOP may as well be a semi- right wing of the dems . They think and act similar these days . Support my program and i’ll suport yours , fuck the taxpayers .

1 Like

Problem with the right is they tend to be individualists. The left are groupies. people want more. The right cannot agree on the time of day, the left just says ok.

The the right in congress is afraid to take a stand on anything as they may piss off people and not be re-elected. So what is the priority in the GOP, what they were sent to do or retaining job?

1 Like

Why is the left not affraid of losing elections? :thinking:

2 Likes

They don’t call it the “uni-party” for nothing!

1 Like

Because they eat from the same troughs. My pigs are more equal than your pigs.:laughing:

2 Likes

One thing we all agree on is that they are all PIGS .

1 Like

The left has the msm to deflect the blame to the right

Exactly. That’s why the right should be more vocal and bring the lies and deceit to light… loudly and often. Unfortunately, the right is just democrat lite.

2 Likes

The right is an illusion. Nothing really there.

3 Likes

That has been the thorn in conservatives side since Reagan. RINO’s rising has undermined both parties for the past +15 years. I think conservatives and I mean true constitutional conservatives should start a new party. Too much cross pollination has spoiled the well. At least a robust vetting process should take place to prevent the Romneys and the Flakes of the world disguising themselves from revealing their unsavoury dark agents.

1 Like

We have witnessed a complete and total surrender to Democrats in the House. We are a Uniparty that is hell-bent on remaining on the path of self-inflicted destruction."

2 Likes

Even the mighty right wants to fact check Trump while remaining silent to all of the left’s lies . My God where the hell are the smart conservative today ?

They are all among us, the people/voters… with a very few scattered around Congress. I hate politicians… pretty much all of them.

Well we are outnumbered for sure the media made sure liberal dems win elections .
We hear the left whine about Russian misinformation and all the while it’s the DNC spreading lies and misinformation . The media is quick to take these lies as truth BUT when the facts appear years later they simply move on as though there is nothing to see hear . Mother Fuckers one and ALL .

1 Like

1 Like

That is 100% correct.

1 Like

DemoRATS = tampons , taxes , crime ,and illegals !

1 Like