How we are different

Well that’s a crock.

from Who makes minimum wage? | Pew Research Center

Perhaps surprisingly, not very many people earn minimum wage, and they make up a smaller share of the workforce than they used to. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, last year 1.532 million hourly workers earned the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour; nearly 1.8 million more earned less than that because they fell under one of several exemptions (tipped employees, full-time students, certain disabled workers and others), for a total of 3.3 million hourly workers at or below the federal minimum.

That group represents 4.3% of the nation’s 75.9 million hourly-paid workers and 2.6% of all wage and salary workers. In 1979, when the BLS began regularly studying minimum-wage workers, they represented 13.4% of hourly workers and 7.9% of all wage and salary workers.

And of that small percentage who make minimum wage, 64% are part time workers. And more than half are under 24 years old.

Sorry - replace ‘minimum wage’ with ‘low wage’ workers and my point stands.

Do you know how many walmart workers on on public assistance?

Sorry - now that you’ve shown that you’re sloppy in your assertions, nothing stands without some proof and definitions. And I don’t know how many Walmart workers are on the dole - how many and what forms of dole? And what is it supposed to demonstrate? That it’s too easy to get on the dole?

My nephew had no problem supporting his family of four on a Walmart salary. But then, he is a hard worker and didn’t remain at their starting salary very long.

People just entering the work force.

Unskilled labor.

It’s worth the minimum wage or less.

Average length of time working at Walmarts 9 months. Again, living wage, ROTFLAMO. Apparently you have never owned or run a business and responsible for profit and loss and staying in business.

Maybe in your world certainly not in the US.
I wonder with all the skut work, how in the world did the average pay rise to 61K???

My nephew started at Walmarts as a shelf jockey and now is in charge of security for 4 stores. Makes 90K a year all that with 2 years of college and no degree.

The same number that should go out and find a real job.

Pretty accurate isn’t it.

But then again, why go out and find a new job that requires you to work instead of playing at Walmarts and collecting welfare.

Perhaps we have this in the UK. Various people including Mark Carney have often pointed to the poor productivity of the UK compared to e.g. Japan or Germany. I feel that parental awareness is the main culprit, tey don’t know what they don’t know.

People who are capable of achieving do not require a degree, only the opportunity.
Having a degree is useful in quite a few situations, before all the degree-holders start complaining…

This is so true. Even more amazing is that apparently stupid people can spawn intelligent children. I haven’t figured that one out yet…

Then why are they working at jobs that inexperienced kids can do? Do they get a bonus for being as stupid as a kid?

It’s called motivation. I have several friends who have no degree yet make 6 figures providing remodeling services. They have their own businesses and are backlogged for months.

Because in our consumer based economy, this is where the jobs are…

There is a book about the old steel towns of E.PA called Homestead. Read it years ago. nonfiction obviously. One of the chapters discussed all these steel workers, you know, big strong men, responsible for handling steel, for keeping crews safe in front of blast furnaces and molten steel…having to go down to McDonalds and apply for jobs flipping burgers…really heartbreaking in so many ways.

But that is where our economy is right now.

1 Like

There is no link between race and intelligence.

Why am I not working at Walmart?
My family had no accumulated wealth. Dad didnt even graduate from High School before he joined the Navy. Parents were divorced. How the hell did I end up with an engineering degree and in the top few percent of income earners?

You could as they are always hiring. LOL.

Walmart is a great entry level place of employment. Seniors work there part time for extra cash. Teens work there as an entry level employee.

One has to ask, why do either need a living wage, what ever that is? Both are minimum wage and work for a limited time few are career employees,

Don’t know.

Statistically, I would guess you completed college. But of course that’s only a guess.

How did I complete college? Family had no accumulated wealth nor a history of educational achievement?

I will tell you: personal choices. Sacrifices. Hard work.

1 Like

Lol, yes there is, but glad you could chime in and prove my point about liberals not being permitted to accept reality.

Yes, I agree. Walmart, (and ofc rouse, so many other large retailers) are staples of our employment landscape.

And yet, Walmart employees take $6B a year in aid.

No, there isn’t.

Here is a good piece on the subject.