How do you deal with Liberal Catholics?

This is mostly a Catholic question - I have no idea how much of an issue or not this is with Orthodox people but you can chime in if you like, for Protestants I feel their churches are already too far gone and plus you guys anyways sort of have an independent vibe anyways, so if people are saying stuff you don’t like I think it’s easier for you to just go meh and forget about them.

So as of lately I have become almost totally convinced the only thing that makes sense is Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus means exactly what it means. And adding to that Trent which says that you must be baptized for salvation, and that it must be water. I’ve done a decent amount of research on it, there is a lot of info for this on the site Cathinfo, both people arguing for and against it. This thread is mostly aimed at people who believe like me - don’t mean to get into another debate or something on these points.

I was just reading some ‘liberal catholics’ reddit account (I know I know) and I mean I just can’t fathom the amount of effort they put into this ‘ecumenism’ and constantly promoting that it’s extremely reasonable that no one goes to Hell, quoting Balthazaar, Benedict 16th, JPII, Bishop Barron etc. He goes on to say that people who are rejecting this aren’t going with the Magesterium blah blah. I mean I can refute these things easily and he makes quite a few stupid errors when people have brought up past church teaching. It’s just that well this person claims to have a MA in Theology, and man they just spend soo much effort spreading this nonsense. The worst part is that the Church hierarchy is more or less supporting this crap.

This just seems like such a weird time. Like I really feel that this is total heresy, what they believe. St. Athanasius knew that Jesus not being God was absolute heresy even before Nicea and even after Nicea when they were trying to play around with all that nonsense. I guess I feel these days are worse because the Church has put out so much garbage and promote so much garbage ‘theology’ pushing for things otherwise and it has only lead to a complete farce of a faith. Not really sure what I am asking here but wondering what other peoples feelings on this is. Whenever I run into people like that I get this feeling of just strong evil from them. Yet I wish God wouldn’t make defending the truth so hard and complex in a way.

1 Like

Christianity isn’t a DIY religion. Whether Catholic or Orthodox, go seek catechesis and put yourself under a priest. It’s his job to transmit to you the tradition of the Church, don’t let Internet people get to your head. Or, if you’re already Catholic, simply talk to your priest about it and listen to him.

And of course, you can directly read the acts and canons and creeds of what you believe to be ecumenical councils. Saints and theologians may say this or that, but it’s at ecumenical councils that the teachings of the Church are normalized and defined.

Do not try to argue for or against this or that doctrine until you at least have a solid base to defend it from. Otherwise you will either fall into heterodoxy or embarrass yourself.

Watch YouTube videos from Catholic scholar E. Michael Jones.

He shows that shylocks subverted the Catholic Church decades ago.