House approves spending bill with $5.7B for border wall

Only takes a few to get your entire story, you hate Trump.
Blah, blah, blah.

Imagine what you could contribute if you drop the same old story line.

But maybe that’s all you have.

Thank you for the feedback, I hope you and yours have a Happy Christmas Lou. :clinking_glasses:

Hope you and your family also have a merry Christmas.

Best time of the year, daughters at home, not stressed from grad school and work.

Definitely. My daughter is in her junior year, still living at home but always so busy during the semester that between my work and her school I rarely see her. Last few days have been good for catching up.

The actual legislation does pass with a 50+1 vote… that is why the vice president in on hand to break all ties. The Cloture is the vote that requires the 60 votes. It is a vote to end debate or filibuster. The thing I don’t get about this rule … I believe it is Senate rule 22 is that I don’t see anyone on the Senate floor holding any debates nor to I see anyone standing in filibuster… I think that the senate should be in session and someone on the floor or the vote on the legislation should be called for… Thats the way I see it anyway.

My daughter is 45 miles away. I often go down and cook dinner for her, she prefers it to a restaurant meal.

1 Like

And when you become the President of the Senate, I’m sure that’s the way it will be.

I’m not sure I follow…

Why not? You laid out the plan for what you would do very clearly.

I was stating what I believe to be the facts… legislation does not require 60 votes… Cloture, which is the agreement to suspend debate … or filibuster and proceed with the vote requires 60 votes. My point was… I do not understand how, if the Senate is not actively debating or their is not an active filibuster taking place on the senate floor, how does this rule apply. I mean, if no one whats to debate the matter at hand and no one wants to filibuster the legislation, it would seem to me that a vote on the matter at hand is appropriate…

Maybe McConnel is taking Schumer at his word.

As poor as he is at public speaking he needs the speech writer to hand it off to someone else to deliver. He gets lost and starts wandering and repeating himself way too often to deliver a coherent speech.

As long as the threat exists that they will filibuster a bill Mc’s not going to ask for a cloture vote. It’s kind of a chickenshit way of doing things but that has become the norm in the senate. You only bring a major bill up for a cloture vote if you know you have the votes to do so. It prevents the other side from getting a recorded win.

The VP is only called to the chamber when an important vote is about to be held and they know his vote is likely to be needed. He’s not in the chamber for all votes.

If McConnell were really interested in delivering, he would 1) force democrats to take to the floor. 2) Not close the session. Senate rules say that a person can only speak twice in a given debate session and after everyone has spoken that ends the need for closure… but he won’t do that because he would actually have to stay in Washington along with relief chairs to keep the the senate in session… He could, add has the power… but not the will.

I understand that… I did say that he was a breaker of ties and it is likely that they will have a fair idea 1) when a vote will take place and 2) if it is likely to be close…