Federal panel warns of national blackout in EMP attack

A presidential panel on Thursday called for immediate attention to the imminent threat of a national blackout, lasting possibly six months, from a terrorist or solar attack on the nation’s electric grid.

Electricity, fuel, clean drinking water, wastewater services, food/refrigeration, emergency medical services, communications capabilities, and some access to financial services have been identified as critical lifeline services that would be needed to sustain local communities and prevent mass migration.

If you haven’t started prepping then you should while the lights are still on. I think with how screwed up this whole planet is getting it’s only a matter of time before the lights go out and we all start killing each other for a slice of bread. Share your tips on how to survive something like this.

1 Like

An EMP is probably the scariest thing that could happen. If the US is worried about it then it’s likely that the US power grid hasn’t been hardened to withstand an EMP. If you are stuck in a city with a permanent blackout expect certain death. Best thing to do would be to have a bug out location, a pre-1980s vehicle, plenty of guns, ammo, food, and water.

2 Likes

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2018/10/russia-china-iran-and-north-korea-working-on-emp-weapons-for-devastating-attack-on-us/

Newt Gingrich has been trying for years to get congress to take the possibility of an EMP strike seriously.

One of the best books I’ve ever read (and I am an avid reader) was “One Second After” which I believe Newt Gingrich co-authored.

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real…a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages…A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach , Fail Safe and Testament , this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future…and our end.

So if this were to happen we would be permanently in the dark. Almost nothing would work.

Cars (or anything) that use electronics would be useless
No electricity
No ability to get money (would be useless anyway)
No grocery stores/food
No fresh water source
No medicine, prescriptions or otherwise.
No police/hospital/nursing home

As people run out of what is in their refrigerators/reserves they will raid homes for food when they get hungry.

Crime will soar, gangs will form for protection, etc.

If you live in a city, you’re toast.

If an EMP does happen, 90% +/- of the population will die according to military studies.

No power grid in the world has ben hardened against an EMP.

How about communications??? Nope, cell as well as landline services dad.

Radia/TV, toast.

Automobiles, 90% dead.

Water, unavailable as water plants air susceptible.

EMP weapons have been with us since 1962.

1 Like

Isn’t it amazing given the knowledge our elected official have had over the years on this that we remain unprotected? Knowing that 90% of the population would not survive?

Yet, we can spend billions on foreign aid and programs for illegals while kicking the can down the road to protect the very people who actually pay taxes?

2 Likes

I skimmed through the report that was linked to the article that Ty provided. This is really scary stuff. I remember learning about EMPs as a kid in the 80s but I don’t think I grasped just how devastating one would be.

I’m glad you took the time to understand what would happen. Also, that the effects are largely preventable but no one has lifted a finger in spite of the warning bells being sounded.

I suspect our elected officials are solely focused on today and re-election tomorrow.

Yes, they are. They are self serving.

1 Like