DOJ Preparing Anti-Trust Probe Of Google Examining ‘Search And Other Businesses,’ Reports Say

About time.

The U.S. Justice Department is preparing an anti-trust investigation of Google and is expected to examine the tech giant’s “search and other businesses.”

The Federal Trade Commission, which investigated Google several years ago, is deferring the investigation to the DOJ this time, The Wall Street Journal reported.

“With turf now settled, the department is preparing to closely examine Google’s business practices related to its search and other businesses, the people said,” according to The Journal. “It couldn’t immediately be learned whether Google has been contacted by the department. Third-party critics of the search giant, however, already have been in talks with Justice Department officials, some of the people familiar with the matter said.”

“The report comes amid discussion from politicians and the public about whether large technology companies should be broken up,” CNBC reported. “The Justice Department launched a major antitrust case against Microsoft in 1998 that led to several rules the company had to follow for years.”

“Alphabet, which racked up $136.8 billion in revenue in 2018, has faced antitrust pressure in the past,” CNBC added. “In 2010, the company faced antitrust complaints from the European Commission regarding ranking of shopping search results and ads, which resulted in Google paying $2.7 billion in 2017. In 2016, the EC complained of certain Android practices to which the company recognized a charge of $5.1 billion in the second quarter of 2018.”

The Verge noted that Google has dominated “positions in the markets for search engines, web browsers, mobile operating systems, email, and numerous other product categories, all of which aid in its ability to collect data and serve targeted ads.”

President Donald Trump has repeatedly railed against Google, which has been accused by many of having a strong anti-conservative bias.

“Google search results for ‘Trump News’ shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake News Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD,” Trump tweeted. “Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/47914/breaking-doj-preparing-anti-trust-probe-google-ryan-saavedra

IOW, Trump has a personal vendettas…

“Google search results for ‘Trump News’ shows only the viewing/reporting of Fake News Media. In other words, they have it RIGGED, for me & others, so that almost all stories & news is BAD,” Trump tweeted. “Fake CNN is prominent. Republican/Conservative & Fair Media is shut out. Illegal? 96% of results on “Trump News” are from National Left-Wing Media, very dangerous. Google & others are suppressing voices of Conservatives and hiding information and news that is good. They are controlling what we can & cannot see. This is a very serious situation-will be addressed!”

The Microsoft Antitrust case was the beginning of the end for the Tech Bubble in 1999-2000. The Google Antitrust indictment should seal the top for the 2019 tech bubble.

@supperhey fix your title

2 Likes

Good! Now do Twitter Facebook and Instagram LOL there’s silencing voices. They’re afraid to play fair because they know they’re losing.

1 Like

This is an EXCELLENT point! Connoisseurs of irony take note:

20 years ago the DOJ went after Microsoft.

Microsoft’s supposed monopoly disappeared, not on account of anything the DOJ did, but on account of competition from Google.

So now the DOJ is going after Google.

(facepalm)

1 Like

How is Google a monopoly? There are plenty of other search options and the same for pretty much everything they offer. People choose to use Google because their products are superior. I personally don’t care if they mine my data.

At least they are totally uncooperative with the US government.

Microsoft’s monopoly case is dropped bc Bill Gates pumps some money to prop Apple up as its “supposed” competitor.

1 Like

Wrong again! It is Google that is vindictive. The liberal assholes that run Google are butthurt that Queen Hillary didn’t get the expected coronation.

I completely agree with this but that doesn’t mean they’re a monopoly.

I wasn’t addressing the monopoly question. Google is certainly the biggest…and owns several search engines not identified as Google.

I use DuckDuckGo…which is definitely not Google. Neither is Bing.

Both of these engines will yield more conservative choices that Google when you search for the same topic.

…and DuckDuckGo does not track your activity.

While their at it, investigate YouTube and their demonetization policy. I am pretty sure that breaks the law as well.