Did America learn anything from Vietnam?

Every single time he mentions Vietnam you can replace it with Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, or Iran as you please.

The news media is cranking out lies today just as in the 60s.

The axiom goes: Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
Maybe. With minor changes…

1 Like

No you can’t. None of those prior conflicts has any relation to Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq other than the Russians supplying the insurgents.

We’re fighting the spread of Islamic terrorism, not communism.

All with the exception of countless Americans dying for absolutely no point. I’m not even American and I can see the similarities. Do you value the lives of your fellow countrymen so little that you would sacrifice them so carelessly? That’s shitty if true.

2 Likes

I was one of the original guys fighting the WOT before it was even labeled as such starting in the 80’s.

I’d damned sure rather stop them before they get here than fight them on our home soil.

We’re not draftees, we have an all volunteer force and we all join with our eyes wide open as to what we’re getting into. Been that way since 86.

If you were fighting the war on terror in the 80s then that meant you were helping the mujahideen against the Soviets. That’s not the same thing at all. American intervention didn’t help the mujahideen win. The mujahideen won because they were fighting on their territory, in their homeland, and were committed to the ideological purpose of driving out the invaders. It’s the same reason why America has continually lost in Afghanistan. The locals are committed to the cause. America is not. Most Americans don’t even understand why they are there.

1 Like

Horse shit. The Mujaheddin was getting it’s ass kicked until we provided them Redeye and Stinger Missiles. Once the Russians moved in the close air support fixed wing and attack helicopters they started getting cut to ribbons.

We were busy as hell all over the globe at the time, not just in Afghanistan.

Regardless, it was a proxy war against the Soviets. The Americans didn’t have the testicular fortitude to engage in direct combat on their own. They needed to use third parties to try out their latest and greatest military industrial complex technology. Pathetic, really.

Bullshit, both US and the Soviets were engaging with proxies all over the globe to avoid the threat of it escalating to a nuclear conflict by directly confronting each other.

You obviously have no concept of the history of that era.

I didn’t realize we were talking about the full scope of Sino-US proxy warfare. I thought we were just talking about your blustering as single-handedly assisting the mujahideen against the Soviets in the 80s - similar to Rambo III.

I never made any such claim. That mission had nothing to do with fighting terrorism.

You brought it up.

So true. It’s just insanity when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

1 Like

Which is why we aren’t doing the same thing over and over.

Right. With minor changes in slogans.

You’ve already shown you don’t know what you’re talking about as usual on this subject so you should just quit while you’re ahead.

You are a legend in your own mind.

You aren’t a legend in anyone’s mind so I suppose I’m one up on you. :joy:

To close the loop on all of this…it’s plainly obvious that America did not learn any lessons from Vietnam and that there are many in the US population who would sacrifice their own countrymen for the sake of testing out new military hardware that a private corporation can sell to the Pentagon for billions. It’s a shame that you view your own countrymen as so worthless.

2 Likes

What a bunch of made up fabricated BS.

As an American vet I can say with confidence your bullshit is completely biased, uninformed, and unimportant.

We choose that life and are proud to serve.

As a conscript I too am proud of my service and my decision to stay past my civic requirement. All that aside, personal pride of individual soldiers has nothing to do with the US military learning lessons from the countless pointless engagements it has embarked upon since the close of WWII.

You’ve never served with the US military thus you have no idea what you’re talking about.

There is no pride in being a conscript because by definition you have no choice.