Dem lawmakers unveil Journalist Protection Act amid Trump attacks on media

Weaponized laws

Three Democratic lawmakers reintroduced a Journalist Protection Act that intends to designate “certain attacks on those reporting the news” as a federal crime.

The bill was introduced by Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.), Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.).

It was originally introduced by Swalwell in February 2018 when the House was under Republican control. Democrats officially took back the House this January.

“The Journalist Protection Act makes it a federal crime to intentionally cause bodily injury to a journalist affecting interstate or foreign commerce in the course of reporting or in a manner designed to intimidate him or her from newsgathering for a media organization,” reads the Tuesday press release. “It represents a clear statement that assaults against people engaged in reporting is unacceptable, and helps ensure law enforcement is able to punish those who interfere with newsgathering.”

The lawmakers said they were introducing the bill as a response to President Trump’s “climate of extreme hostility” toward the media.

“Both before and since taking office, President Trump has blatantly stoked a climate of extreme hostility toward the press,” the release said. "He has called the press ‘the enemy of the American people,’ and described mainstream media outlets as ‘a stain on America.’

“Such antagonistic rhetoric encourages others to think, regardless of their views, that violence against journalists is more acceptable.”

Trump has often referred to the media as “the enemy of the people” while regularly evoking the phase “fake news.”

"I really wish I didn’t have to introduce this, but we have seen rhetoric from the president declaring the media as the ‘enemy of the state,’ " Swalwell said last year when he first introduced the bill.

Original co-sponsors of the Journalist Protection Act in the House were Reps. David Cicilline (D-R.I.), Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), Debbie Dingell (D-Mich.), Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), Ro Khanna (D-Calif.), Andy Levin (D-Mich.), Gwen Moore (D-Wis.), Bobby Rush (D-Ill.), Darren Soto (D-Fla.) and Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.).

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/433709-dem-lawmakers-unveil-journalist-protection-act-amid-trump-attacks-on-media

They need a bill to stop the partisan attacks by the liberal media

1 Like

Many liberals and journalists have claimed that Trump opposes freedom of the press. This is bullshit!

His beef is with the FAKE NEWS media. He has said several times that he welcomes criticism as long as it is truthful.

I have a similar disdain for posters here that paraphrase what I say in order to twist the meaning into a strawman argument.

Here is a perfect example. He said the FAKE NEWS MEDIA is the enemy of the people…and that, my friend, is absolutely true.

The he wants dirty water and dirty air are two more lies.

Screw the FAKE NEWS MEDIA!

That is a product of “Post Modernism’s” failed philosophy of Derrida’s “Deconstruction”! But make no mistake, this is just a power grab to control the Democratic narrative by use of propaganda without being challenged on the basis of truth. In other words Democrats want the power to make any shit up and package as truth. This is a communist method of silencing the masses! It’s probably why the CHICOM’s have an enormous wing just dedicated to propaganda for this very purpose and for the most part it has worked for them, and so no surprise that this is the Democrats way of attempting to do the same thing! Nevertheless, I can’t see how the American people from left or right will tolerate this passage of such a bill!

This bill is nothing more than the liberals creation of another victim class and their proposal to save it. I am sure that the FAKE NEWS media will give accolades to the liberals for this fake protection racket.

Fake journalists may mimic the Jussie Smollett saga and orchestrate non-lethal attacks on themselves…and blame Trump supporters for them.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Perhaps, but I think there is a much larger sinister agenda at play here that hints at taking control of the national narrative. I don’t think it stops at media, but the internet as well. Once they take control of that, then this power grab makes more sense in the bigger picture of things to come!

1 Like

I think that agenda has already been established. Liberals already control most of the media as the media outlets are replete with liberal owners and journalists with a liberal bent.

The internet as well is biased liberal as evidenced by Twitter, Facebook, Google and their offspring.

Liberals won’t be satisfied until we have our own version of Pravda…with no real competitors. The MSM outlets already parrot each other. I’m not sure which is the lead off outlet, if there is one.

Yet another "protected class " and an assault on free speech .

First of all, the government has no business saying who is and who isn’t a journalist. Secondly, no class of citizen should be singled out for special protection. Equal protection under the law, not special protection for some.

1 Like

This will backfire on these “brilliant” forward thinkers. Do these people not look to the ramifications of such things past the Trump administration?

The scenarios for this coming back to bite them in the ass are just too easy to contemplate.

Democrats should just cut to the chase and pass a law saying everyone but straight white Christian males gets special protection. Would save a lot of paper and time.

1 Like