Deep Thoughts On Why We Work

It is rare for a start up to make profit in the first year, or the second… meanwhile you slave away long hours for nothing, not even minimum wage. You make sure all your staff are well looked after, they are the priority, then your suppliers and overheads, then government. You are last in line but work the most and everything is on your neck. There is nothing left for you or if you are less lucky, you have to borrow more to keep afloat.

There is no guarantee of success. You could go through all that and your business doesn’t turn a corner. You have to fold. You have lost everything because your business loans had to be backed by personal guarantees. What do you do? You reflect for a bit, dust yourself off and try again.

One day you turn a corner. You start seeing a little reward. You have the experience to build upon that little success. You carry on working your backside off. You are getting there. Your family finally gets some benefits.

Then some little upstart comes along and think they deserve a share, because they are only getting “minimum wage” for cleaning the toilets and making the tea. They have a degree in gender studies and because of that they deserve a managerial role. Now I think I am lost for words…

2 Likes

This is how communism works out. At John Lewis the staff are also shareholders. So to keep their shareholders happy, they sell wanky tat at inflated prices. Guess what, there is nothing left to share! :joy:

1 Like

Not being paid is more than common for the owner of a small business.

2 Likes

For me it’s simple. I feel better when I’m productive. Even when I’m not at work, I’m usually doing something around the house to feel productive.