Deep Thoughts On Why We Work

What do we work for? Do we work to live? Do we live to work? Do we work for happiness?

During a deep thought and reflection, I reached that we do work for having a decent death. Knowing that pain could be compromised, and that death is a spontaneous event as life.

We work because thatā€™s what weā€™ve been taught to do. We work to live in society where everyone feels everyone else does their part. It isnā€™t exactly for happiness but not being in a society and having itā€™s benefits would probably make you uncomfortable.

While I feel this may be true for something like a job, I think this is untrue for the general category of ā€œworkā€.

For as much ā€œworkā€ itself indeed describes the activity of the primitive man making undertakings to provide for his own sustenance even in the wild, unshackled from learnings and society. For a primitive indeed works to say, take fruit from a tree or harvest materials to make a bow for the hunt.

Overall, then, we perform work in order to live. Going from there, the question simply becomes: what is it that we live for, as the reason we live is that which we do work as a means towards.

We work to be a simple engine of the system. We work to die as comfortably as possible.

I strongly recommend that everyone ITT read Candide by Voltaire.

Lay off the drugs. We work so we arenā€™t a bunch of welfare dependent shitbags. We work to live in nice houses, put our kids in good schools, buy a bunch of cool toys, get old comfortably, and pass on what we can to make the lives of our kids easier.

2 Likes

We work because we need to in order to not get depressed. Man has to be productive to feel fulfilled.

If youā€™re asking why it is this way, the answer is because of evolution.

2 Likes

Genesis 3: 17 And to Adam he said,

ā€œBecause you have listened to the voice of your wife
and have eaten of the tree
of which I commanded you,
ā€˜You shall not eat of it,ā€™
cursed is the ground because of you;
in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;
18 thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you;
and you shall eat the plants of the field.
19 By the sweat of your face
you shall eat bread,
till you return to the ground,
for out of it you were taken;
for you are dust,
and to dust you shall return.ā€

I donā€™t know if much deep thought on this subject is needed. Iā€™m working really hard now so I donā€™t have to work at all later.

3 Likes

Lifeā€™s a bitch and then you die. If you didnā€™t hit the birth lottery then you will have to work. Hopefully you can die with some dignity. Expect setbacks and personal tragedy. Donā€™t expect anyone to give a shit. Take care of yourself and your family. To hell with anyone else. If you can, make your own money. Itā€™s harder but in the end you wonā€™t need to be fake for 8-12 hours a day. Thereā€¦I just decoded the mysteries of life. Youā€™re welcome.

1 Like

I told my kids, work hard when you are young so you donā€™t have to work long when you are old.

BTW, most millionaires and billionaires in America were born into lower to middle class families. Look it up.

At its most biological basic, any organism lives to reproduce ā€“ to propagate the species. And unless the propagation process for the species requires the death of the individual, the next, most basic, overarching reason an organism continues to live (even after propagation) is self-preservation and survival.

1 Like

We work because the system is designed for us to be slaves to capitalism. We work to make some ultra wealthy asshole even richer while we can all barely scrape by. Itā€™s a broken system and should be destroyed.

That is actually a very spot on assessment.

When I was a teenager and in my 20ā€™s I hated work. However, I did like the independence it brought me and the ā€œstuffā€ I could buy.

People learn a lot about themselves during those years. What you are good at, what you like, what you donā€™t like. And you start gravitating towards what you enjoy. And, if you enjoy it you get better at it and build a career.

I love what I do. I love the people I work with and my clients. Being productive and the reward from hard work, challenge is a big positive in life.

Donā€™t like working for someone? Start your own business. It isnā€™t easy by a long shot. But, if you have the patience to build something over time and are willing to keep your eyes on the successes rather than the set backs, then it can be done.

1 Like

People in my generation donā€™t have the money it takes to start up a business. We are all saddled with way too much debt to get the degree we were told to get because it was supposed to get us all good paying jobs and it didnā€™t. Itā€™s not like we can discharge those debts because the Bush administration decided to fuck the country over in favor of the banks.

Iā€™ll be sure to start up my own business real soon though. Maybe I can find a couple million dollars in venture capital to sink into a business idea that may or may not work. Face it, those days are over. Glad it worked out for you though.

So, you think that everyone who starts a business has to have a lot of money?

When my parents started their business they had very little. Little enough that we had no home, we lived above the showroom in what should have been office space because we actually couldnā€™t afford a home.

What my parentā€™s did have was a goal and a dream. Enough so that they didnā€™t let the setbacks keep them from moving forward.

Plumbers, electricians (for example) work for someone and get experience under their belt. Then, they start their own business on a shoestring. Happens all of the time.

Iā€™m not sure where you get the idea that you need venture capital or millions.

1 Like

We need to work only a few hours a day, really.
The rest is for paying taxes and rents.

This system was established early in human history and continues to thrive due to the Babylonian debt-based, interest-bearing banking fraud.

1 Like

Slaves??? Where do you work? Capitalism is the opposite of slavery. If you do not like your job, do not go to work.

More like due to fractional currency and the Federal Reserve.