Daniel Pantaleo, NYPD Officer Who Held Eric Garner in Chokehold, Is Fired

The post directly above mine is the best one in this thread and no post will be better.

1 Like

Selling loose cigarettes and trespassing is a serious violent offence and requires extreme measures to suddue this offender.
Nothing said about the financial payment to the family of this man when it could have been prevented.

1 Like

It could have so easily been prevented- all Garner had to do was:
chance #1 not sell ‘loosies’ which he knew was illegal
chance #2 move away from the storefront
chance #3 comply when officers arrested him

At every turn, it was solely within the power of Garner to avoid his demise. Police are not paid to just let people break the law, even in ‘Cop killer Bill’ diBlasio’s NYC.

2 Likes

You know what? Some people gamble about breaking the law.

“What are the risks I’ll get arrested for this? Bleh, next to none, so I’m gonna do it”.

Until they are under arrest for it. Then they cry stinking murder about how unfair it is.

And worse, if you have an attitude or resist arrest the cops don’t care how minor your offense is.

1 Like

The situation could have been avoided if the police would have reacted differently. I’m not saying to baby him, but there were other ways to subdue him. How many criminals just say, cuff me.Again how do you feel about his family being 6million dollars richer because of the police.

It be da ‘thug life lotto’ - what we need are changes to tort law forbidding suits filed by the survivors of those who resist arrest and are injured or killed.

Not when cops violate police rules. In fact, New York has tried or is trying to criminalize the chokehold…

Garner determined how much force was going to be necessary to subdue him, nobody else.