Cosmic Impacts and Earth's Climate

I blaim man.

So this is where y’alll have been hiding.

1 Like

Damn! He found us!

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I blame chariots of fire with no sense of driving skills.

Hop on in. The global climate is perfect.

Here’s a presentation by geologist/mathematician Randal Carlson regarding the events leading to the end of the ice age.

Interesting guy… .

He covers the pole shift briefly but his explanation doesn’t really make much sense to me.

It would seem that if a pole shift was caused it would have been first from the mass of ice causing an imbalance shifting the planet southward unless there was a corresponding buildup in a countering position on the southern and opposite side of the planet and a second shift after the catastrophic flooding which would then rebalance the planet back to it’s pre ice age orientation.

First, we have a landmass, larger than the size of Canada, at an average of 2 miles thick.

While rocky and metallic, the Earth has a texture like that of a sponge. Just the very act of that much ice just sitting there, is enough to depress the Earth’s crust underneath.

As insanely destructive as that much water was, another disaster would have come from the Earth trying to bulge back out after the ice melted, which would have caused massive earthquakes, freak electrical storms, volcanic eruptions, and massive brush fires, possibly for thousands of years on end. All of this would have had an effect on Earth’s (magnetic) poles.

That being said, there is a competing theory in the form of a Solar Induced Dark Age, put forth by Dr. Robert Schoch. I’m not as convinced of it as I am an impact, but it’s a great thought process in its own right.

And speaking of Dr. Schoch, here’s is a 20 minute chunk of Joe Rogan’s podcast, with Dr. Schoch explaining why the Sphinx is far older than Dynastic Egypt.

When people talk about the pole shift, they are referring to the shift of the magnetic N. and S. poles to the opposite “ends” of the globe not the orientation of the planet on its axis. Such a shift has occurred hundreds of times in the last 4 billion years. In fact, we may be headed into one now.

Well think of this, there was extreme volcanic activity in the Mediterranean region, Japan, and the south Pacific during that time.

I’ve always theorized about the possibility of a major comet or meteor impact hitting the ice mass at some point, or maybe several of them to cause the dramatic meltzoff or at least to stimulate it.

The Ice Age ice did not disappear all at once. It was not melted instantly by this meteorite. The heat of impact probably melted ice in the immediate area just outside the blast zone, but at most, only a relatively small amount of the ice cap would have melted. However, the debris thrown up by the impact would have fallen onto the ice over the entire northern hemisphere and would have continued to contaminate annual snowfall for several years. That loss of albedo would have melted vast amounts of ice, perhaps enough so to trigger the end of the Ice Age.

On the other hand, once the immediate effects of the impact were over, the ash and aerosols left in the atmosphere would have cooled the Earth significantly for decades, which would have restored the albedo of the ice caps. The timing of this impact is more likely to be the cause of the Younger Dryas cooling than the end of the Ice Age.

Also, crustal rebound also occurs slowly. In fact, much of North America including the Great Lakes area and New England, is still rebounding even though the Ice has been gone for 10,000 years. There are parts of SE Alaska (which held onto its Ice much longer) that are still rebounding at the rate of about an inch per decade, yet no earthquakes are attributed to that phenomenon. As you said, the rock is sponge-like … it doesn’t snap under slow pressure (or pressure release,) it flexes.

Here is a 90 minute documentary about the age of the pyramids, and magnetic pole shifts. I don’t agree with everything said, but my favorite part is the measurements of distances between ancient megalithic sites, and the relation of the Giza Plateau to the zodiac calendar.

This version is narrated by Brian Denis Cox, but a higher definition copy of the video can be viewed that has a female with a French accent narrating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cnR-pTI2mE

I’m well aware that the Ice Age took over 1,400 years to end after the onset of the Younger Dryas. I’m also aware that not all of the ice was melted by the barrage of cosmic debris that impacted the ice sheets. There was a cascade of events that all contributed to the disaster/climate change.

However, Meltwater Pulse 1A and 1B (two extreme heating events, look at the heat-energy required to make this happen) display clear signs of massive sea-level rise in a very short amount of time, and in fact, sea levels may have risen by over 30 feet within a single year (1 year, 1,400 years - overnight in the geological sense).

These days, just like then, over 90% of the world’s population lives within 100 miles of the coast. Since sea levels rose over 400 feet total since the end of the ice age, it’s no wonder there isn’t much left to look at.

You’re way off about Post-Glacial Rebound when I compare what you said to what other geologists have said, so I’ll take that with a grain of salt. There is not a single place on Earth with as much ice as Canada had before the Younger Dryas, and the crust has had over 10,000 years to rebound. What we have left in Alaska is ice cubes compared to icebergs.

Interesting to note that Alaska, Siberia, and the land-bridge between were warmer during the Ice Age than they are now. The highlighted landmass is actually twice the size of modern Alaska, and was an ice-free plain that millions, and even perhaps billions, of mammoths once grazed.

THe discoveries of swamped ancient cities in recent years/decades that are now under tens to hundreds of feet of water shows that during the peaks of the ice ages sea levels were as much as 300-400’ lower than today. That makes it awfully easy for Ice/Land Bridges to form.

It was also a highly volcanic era. Volcanic ash spreads out on the white snow absorbing heat greatly accelerating melting.

Came across this article, you’ll enjoy it.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/29/don-paul-2018-was-rough-but-536-was-a-nightmare/

I’m not understanding what you are getting at. What are said is true. Vast area of North America are still rebounding from the Ice Age. That fact is indisputable.

That the interior of Alaska and the area of the now submerged land bridge were unglaciated does not mean they were warmer than today. It was the lack of moisture that left those areas without cap ice, not the temperature.