Canada’s Cowardly Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan says China is not an Enemy

HALIFAX, Nova Scotia (AP) - Canada’s defense minister said Friday China is not an adversary despite the arbitrary detention of two Canadians - a statement that came as he hosted an international security forum that will honor pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan said at the Halifax International Security Forum that the arrests of ex-diplomat Michael Kovrig and businessman Michael have strained relations. Sajjan said there is a need for Beijing to return to rules-based international order, but he said there is still cooperation on trade.

“We don’t consider China as an adversary,” Sajjan said.

“We do have two Canadians that have been arbitrarily detained in China and we ask China for their expeditious release and that’s extremely important to us.”

Beijing detained Kovrig and Spavor last December in an apparent attempt to pressure Canada to release Meng Wanzhou, a top executive at Chinese tech giant Huawei. The daughter of Huawei’s founder was arrested Dec. 1 at the request of U.S. authorities who want her on fraud charges.

China has also sentenced two other Canadians to death and suspended imports of Canadian canola. Relations between Canada and China are at their lowest point since the Chinese government’s 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters at Tiananmen Square.

Forum President Peter Van Praagh said it is time to recognize that China has a different worldview and described Beijing as an adversary and strategic competitor.

“This is a big country that does not share our values and yet there are Canadians and Americans who do a lot of business and it does create jobs and so what are we willing to surrender in terms of our own values in cooperation with China and where does that line get drawn?,” Van Praagh said.

In its 11th year, the Halifax International Security Forum has attracted top defense and security officials from Western democracies. Forum Board Member Cindy McCain will present the John McCain Prize for Leadership in Public Service to the people of Hong Kong on Saturday. China has condemned moves by U.S. lawmakers to throw their support behind the protesters in Hong Kong, threatening “strong countermeasures.”

U.S. President Donald Trump’s national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, Republican Sen. Jim Risch, the chairman of the U.S. Senate’s Foreign Relations Committee and Richard Spencer, secretary of the U.S. Navy are attending the forum.

Trump said Friday that he told Chinese President Xi Jinping that efforts to quash the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong would complicate negotiations for a U.S.-China trade deal.

Probably has to play nice since China owns all of the high-end real estate in every major Canadian city.

1 Like

I wonder if it has anything to do with the Chinese Ambassador to Canada treating the Canadian government and the Canadian people like his bitch?

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ottawa-should-keep-quiet-about-hong-kong-chinas-new-ambassador-to-canada-says

Well it’s true, Hong Kong is not Canada’s affair.

Why should China and Canada be adversaries of one another?

You obviously don’t know much about what’s going on in Canada. The modern leftist and communist parties in Canada essentially function as the useful idiots of the Chinese bourgeoisie.

1 Like

But I’m asking why…:man_shrugging:

I gave you a general answer. Why not seek out more information on your own? You have access to the same internet that I do.

I’ll elaborate a bit further but you should really do your research on your own and refrain from posting in Canada threads if you don’t know anything about Canada.

The Chinese are actively and intentionally disrupting real estate prices in Canada. They have purchased entire towns in Canada including Carstairs, Alberta. The Chinese government has an aggressive expansion agenda for Canada which includes includes Huawei for AI, Smart Cars and Cell Phones…all of which are tied to Chinese Military Intel.

U of A/Edmonton Engineering faculty have links to a number of powerful CHICOMS. Student groups at a number of universities are being told not to make any comments that would piss off the Chinese. We have a very big problem on our hands here that no one in Canada seems willing to deal with.

2 Likes

Maximum level cucking. China arbitrarily puts two of your citizens in prison…Canada does nothing. I hope you Canucks enjoy Trudeau’s second reign of terror. I’m just sorry we have to share a border with you cucks.

Yeah, been reading about that aspect about Canada and China and their unholy relationship for quite some time! When you say problem that is an understatement! They did the same thing to Australia as well and were on their way to doing it to the US until Trump got elected.

1 Like

Canada threads…:roll_eyes:

I asked a question, if you’d rather be insulting than answer, have fun.

China has about 200 Canadians in detention, the US has about 1000 Canadians in detention. :man_shrugging:

OMG Monte!

You need to grow a thicker skin! You making false equivalencies of hurt feelings does much to hurt your credibility here on this forum and why a lot of people here don’t take you seriously.

1 Like

What makes you think it’s arbitrary???

Canada is holding it’s own detainees. Huawei Technologies Co Ltd Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou.