Can the President be an agent of a foreign power?

Can the President be an agent of a foreign power?

This question arose in an episode of the Lawfare Podcast. (@ 19:37)

In other words: given that it is the President’s prerogative to decide what are the national security interests of the United States, isn’t he or she entitled to choose any course whatsoever?

I find this incredibly troubling.

Every president is necessarily going to be a human who is at least 35 years old. It is uncontroversially true that humans under the age of 35 can be agents of foreign powers. It necessarily follows that a person can become an agent of a foreign power, and while an agent, become president. (Which, incidentally, is precisely what we think has occurred.) So, the only way we could answer in the negative is by actively searching for rules and definitions that are expressly designed to leave us vulnerable to a foreign power capturing the Presidency. Without a framework like that, the answer is very obviously yes, because it’s uncontroversial that any other person, anywhere within government, any private citizen, any visiting alien or expatriate, can be an agent of a foreign power. So the answer is ‘yes’ by default, unless we are able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Now, I want to take a step back.

I understand that rules are important. But is it wise to allow our choices to become so detached from objective reality that we are compelled to deny the truth of something so vitally important? What benefit is there, really, in even attempting to search for a framework so twisted.

Of course. Obama was an agent of Iran…and the terrorists. He got away with it because he was God’s gift to the corruption in Washington…a big part of which he constructed himself.

In whispering to a Russian diplomat about his “flexibility” after his re-election, he showed his ability to be an agent for Russia. He got away with that, too. He greased the skids for Russian control of our uranium stockpile.

2 Likes

No.

Article 2 - The Executive Branch
Section 4 - Disqualification

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason , Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

And we all here know the definition of Treason , don’t we?

If you are trying to say the word applies to Trump you obviously don’t know the definition. Let’s begin your education with the fact that Russia is not an enemy, in regard to our laws on treason an “enemy” is defined as a country we are in a declared war against.

1 Like

I saw that Senator Bob Menendez was pushing this crap recently. Maybe a better question would be, can a sitting US Senator be a pedophile and sexual predator?

The answer to that sick question is YES, as long as he’s a Democrat.

1 Like

Amazing how he was able to escape justice in his trial. That guy is a total scumbag, like most democrats! The again it is easy for guys like him to get away with what he did when you have a corrupt judicial system!

2 Likes