California officially becomes first state to require solar panels on new homes

“How do we make housing more affordable in California? Oh we know, we should require new homes being built to have expensive solar panels installed.”

Have they not seen the furry followed in France when Macron forced economic terrorism onto the French in the name of “green tech”?

California became the first state in the nation to require homes built in 2020 and later be solar-powered, following a vote by the Building Standards Commission.

The unanimous action Wednesday finalized a previous vote by the Energy Commission and brings the state closer to fulfilling a decade-old goal to be reliant on cleaner energy.

“These provisions really are historic and will be a beacon of light for the rest of the country,” said Kent Sasaki, a structural engineer who is one of six building standards commissioners. It’s “the beginning of substantial improvement in how we produce energy and reduce the consumption of fossil fuels.”

Nobody spoke Wednesday in opposition, but the commission received about 300 letters opposing the mandate because of the added cost, the Orange County Register reported.

Energy officials estimate the provisions will add $10,000 to the cost of building a single-family home — about $8,400 from adding solar and about $1,500 for making homes more energy efficient. But those costs would be offset by lower utility bills over the 30-year lifespan of the solar panels, officials said.

One commission member worried the mandate would make it harder for California wildfire victims to rebuild. But supporters assured him that won’t be a problem, according to the newspaper.

Homeowners will have two options that eliminate upfront costs of adding solar: leasing the solar panels or signing a power purchase agreement that pays for the electricity without buying the panels, said Drew Bohan, executive director of the energy commission.

One solar-industry representative said the net savings from adding solar power will be about $40 a month or nearly $500 a year.

“These standards won’t necessarily make homes more expensive to buy. What they will do is save money on utility costs,” said Pierre Delforge, a senior scientist with the Natural Resources Defense Council. “This is not only the right thing to do for the climate, it is financially smart.”

Home builders have been preparing for years to meet a proposed requirement that all new homes be “net-zero,” meaning they would produce enough solar power to offset all electricity and natural gas they consume over the course of a year.

Someone needs to tell these morons that your utility bills are not rolled into your monthly mortgage payment.

Raise the cost of building a home and you rase the cost of paying off the mortgage so yes, the homes will be more expensive anyway you figure it.

At current rates you’re talking about 52.00/mo added to your mortgage from the extra 10k in principal. Even if then you save 40.00 on your utilities you’re still in the hole.

They must really think their target audience is made up of morons.

1 Like

Um, their target audience IS made up of morons. Have you seen the vote totals there? :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice! After millions of birds have been killed by the mandate to make more wind farms they decide to bolster sales for the corporations they set up and invested in for solar. Makes sense.

They do keep voting in Democrats, so…

If there were a practical way to store the electricity on site then it wouldn’t be a bad idea. These people will wind up with systems way too big and never get a cent for their excess generation.

Corporate welfare.

So, apparently I need to invent the $10 fake solar panel… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Duh … it’s California.

LOL That was my first thought too. :smile:

That’s only partially funny… you know people are going to do that. For every stupid law government makes, there’s someone well ahead of them figuring out a way to bypass that law. We should go ahead and start a business.

It can be done. Solar panels arent exactly new science at this point. Just scale this up:

You don’t want to get me started on the bird slaughter; but if you know me, it’s already too late. The mountains around my town are covered with wind generators. Just one would be interesting; but dozens & dozens become immediate eyesores. Now to the birds. I took a close look, and yes, many dead birds; even protected birds of prey. Now the irony. I tie fishing flies; but I cannot pick up any protected dead birds to use the feathers, because I could not prove I didn’t kill them. It would never enter my mind to harm a bird of prey; but regulations allow the their slaughter by wind generators. They either rot or are quickly removed by the people who service the wind generators. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Footnote: I have never ever found a dead owl. I guess they have a very sophisticated navigation system.

1 Like

Probably a few OK designs in issues of Mother Earth News. I did a hot air system for a friend’s small greenhouse. It worked OK. Nothing earthshaking, but it helped warm the greenhouse. Had solar powered boxer fans to circulate the air. [

Amazon.com: 12V 3" Boxer Fan for P9000/ P12000: Home & Kitchen

https://www.amazon.com/12V-Boxer-Fan-P9000-P12000/dp/B01MSLNKS4
](https://www.amazon.com/12V-Boxer-Fan-P9000-P12000/dp/B01MSLNKS4) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The panels were fragile, since I used 4 foot fluorescent tubes, painted black. I built a nichrome heating coil ( old toaster wire ) to melt off the tube ends. They were painted black & mounted in foam in a manifold, in a plexiglas frame to protect them. Easy to clean out the interior tube surface; just some dry sand & shake it up to clean the inside; and then a quick careful washing. I believe there were 36 tubes. The air was ducted along the floor & just rose up. The cold air at floor level was pulled into the system in a loop.

1 Like

I was thinking totally fake, like injection molded plastic.

All of that stuff in the video is easy, I also have an EE degree. While the video is cool for it’s low tech DIY feel, that is too much work for a $100 solar panel that probably won’t be reliable.

:smiley:

Im thinking hybrid, i.e. something cheap you can put together to bypass the regulation and give yourself that solar credits instead, but w/e, I hope i’ll be out of there by 2020.

……so tax and regulate them to DEATH !!!