Average Garden Yields

Asparagus: Each plant will yield half a dozen spears during harvest season.

Beans, bush: One 10-foot row yields 8 pounds; yellow varieties tend to yield less.

Beans, broad: One 10-foot row yields 10 pounds

Beets: One 10-foot row yields 10 pounds; if you prefer small beets, double seeds.

Broccoli: One to three pounds per plant

Cabbage: One to three pounds per plant

Corn: Approximately 30-36 ears per 10-foot row

Cucumbers: 10-15 cucumbers per plant

Eggplant: Four to five pounds per plant

Onions: One pound of sets produces 30-40 pounds of onions.

Peas, shell: One 10-foot row yields 10 pounds.

Peppers: Six to 22 bell peppers per plant

Potatoes: Five pounds of seed potatoes yield 125 pounds of potatoes.

Summer squash & zucchini: If kept picked, one plant will yield 5 pounds of squash.

Tomatoes: Yields vary tremendously, but on average, 6-8 pounds per plant

5 Likes

I’ll add one:

Carrots: Yield 10 to 25 pounds per 10-foot row.

2 Likes

If you are in an urban environment you can find places to grow things like carrots and potatoes nearly everywhere. I lived near an office park a few years ago. The place was a ghost town on the weekends. I would plant potatoes, onions, carrots, and cucumbers behind their hedges or in the overgrown areas behind their parking garages. Their sprinkler systems did all the hard work for me. No one ever said a word to me about it and I know their security guards saw me.

3 Likes

This is actually a really good idea. There are lots of little patches of grass that no one pays attention to. The more overgrown the better.

1 Like

Chives are great. They’ll grow like a weed in conditions other vegetables won’t including the shade and can add some vitamins and filler to anything you cook. They don’t need any maintenance or watering provided they’re in the ground and not a pot, and pests don’t eat them. Barely any calories in them so just let them grow in areas you aren’t otherwise using for growing calories.

2 Likes

All of those vary greatly with soil/sun/water/pest conditions.

The second thing to consider is that not all of those pounds produce the same amount of calories. Potatoes and beans are probably the big winners. Corn is great, but is so resource hungry and predation and pest prone so as to render them a waste of space.

Also, since potatoes grow underground, or in the container, they simply look like inedible greenery to the untrained eye. Peanuts are similar.

Interesting thread. We have several big gardens.

1 Like

I have all raised beds with drip irrigation. A little work building them; but once set up, yield is increased dramatically. A plus is, VERY GOOD DRAINAGE.

1 Like

I can attest to that. I tried growing carrots as an experiment and they were the size of sweet potatoes.

I had no idea what to do with all I’d grown but wound up finding a found a recipe for carrot soup. OMG is that good!

1 Like

Everytime I buy scallions at the grocery store, I make sure to cut them so I can plant the roots.

You can do the same with onions.

That, is cool. I have to try it.

EVERYONE !!! If you garden, find some Egyptian onions. Also known as Walking Onions. Just amazing. I have an ancient patch that my father started after he came home from WW2. Patch about 15 X 15 feet. You plant the sets. They grow into more or less, regular onions ( bulbs ) beneath the ground. I harvest some of the bulbs ( they do keep well ). I allow the other half to mature; and new sets appear on top of the stalks. I plant the sets. In the Spring, I have green onions ( scallions ), then later, mature onion bulbs. If you just allow them to run wild, they fall over, and the top sets will root on their own. So the term, Walking Onion. More efficient to take the time to plant the sets. About every 4 or 5 yeras, I harvest a few hundred sets, and till the patch, check the ph, etc. , etc. , then replant he sets. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ [

Egyptian Walking Onion

https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/
](https://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com/)

Welcome to the official website of the Egyptian Walking Onion !*** image

Muskmelon - One plant per 18"x18"x24" of my homemade organic soil.

Each plant typically yields a dozen or more 2 - 5 lb melons in 90 days.

I have 7 raised beds, about 10 X 10 each. I use ( because I am incredibly lazy ), a drip irrigation fertilzer system. Each bed is covered in heavy black plastic. Maybe 10 or 12 ( about 18 inch holes ) through the plastic in each bed. Every Spring I pull the cages and dig out each individual hole. I screen, test the ph, etc., and refill the holes. In go the plants. Then I flip a switch. That’s it. The diluted liquid fertilizer ( I only use fish emulsion ) is sucked up by a venturi & mixed with the daily watering. The raised beds prevent over watering, since they drain well. Climbing plants (cuccumbers, etc. ) are on the back edge of each bed. A 1/2 inch plastic trunk line circles the beds. I plug in a 1/8 inch feeder tube for each plant. Each tube has an emitter on the end. Watering - flow can be adjusted by simply regulating the watering time. The entire drip irrigation system cost me about $75.00; and that was about 7 or 8 years ago. I use an ORBIT watering timer. You do need a water pressure regulator, because the ORBIT system operates at 40 psi ( or less ). Occasionally, I buy an extra roll of 1/2 inch & 1/8 inch soft tubing. Maybe $20.00. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [

Orbit Irrigation | Timers

](https://www.orbitonline.com/products/sprinkler-systems/timers) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [

Amazon.com : Teanfa 3/4inch Irrigation Venturi Fertilizer Injectors …

https://www.amazon.com/Teanfa-Irrigation-Venturi-Fertilizer-Injectors/.../B01LXZTN
](https://www.amazon.com/Teanfa-Irrigation-Venturi-Fertilizer-Injectors/dp/B01LXZTNRD)