Arabs, Nukes, and the Department of Energy

Now that the story regarding Flynn and Trump wanting to sell/give Nuke info to the Arabs is coming to light, I thought how odd it is that since 2016 we’ve heard absolutely nothing from or about Rick Perry at the Department of Energy. I did a quick google search and all I found was some small time grifting on travel expenses for Perry’s wife. Anyone know anything more?

Perhaps some journalist should go look under that rock.

2 Likes

What was weird about this story is that the technology for making nuclear power plants is hardly secret. So are we getting into uranium enrichment or other sensitive bomb-related areas? That’s not necessary for power plants - reactor fuel is readily available.

1 Like

This House of Saud thing is getting a bit frightening, isn’t it? Not sure where the the deeper pool of pending doom lies, under Putin or under MBS. We have a pretty long history of watching Vlad’s boys (until lately), but all we’ve done for the last 40 years is sell the Saudis weapons whenever they ask. They’re part of a triangulation effort against Iran along with us and Israel, but I’m starting to get a bad feeling about that.

If true. …
Maybe establishing a balance of power between Iran and SA? After Obama bent over for Iran, we need to do some damage control.

Valerie Jarrett, born in Iran, Obama’s senior advisor.

The problem with this story is that it is being covered by reporters (and editors) who seem to have no grasp of the underlying technical and legal issues.

There is one paragraph in the lengthy Washington Post story that even touches upon on what the underlying difficulty is:

According to the Democratic report, Harvey’s NSC colleagues warned repeatedly that any plan to transfer nuclear technology had to comply with the Atomic Energy Act. The United States imposes limits on uranium enrichment and the reprocessing of spent fuel, both of which could be used to produce material for nuclear bombs. Saudi Arabia does not want to make those commitments.

We do not know what specifically was being proposed and the problems that experts on the subject in the government had with it.

Getting “nuclear power reactors” could be benign. Or it might not be, depending on a lot else riding along.

(The author of that piece by the way was Karen DeYoung who wrote a stunningly ignorant and laudatory report about the Trump-Kim summit last year.)