A Thread For Boat Lovers

This thread is for anything concerning boats, boat building and other watercraft such as jet skis, submarines, diver propulsion devices…anything designed for the purpose of transportation on or through water.

1 Like

I have no favorite boat. I love them all. I’m especially fond of multi-engine crafts such as this beautiful Cigarette. If I ever win the lottery, this (or something quite similar) will be my first purchase.

1 Like

Still love the old sailing vessels like these.

1 Like

Boats of the United States Navy

https://maritime.org/doc/boatcat/index.php

Just click on the index number to see the details of the boat.

Enjoy!

1 Like

THE_13TH_CROSSING
One of my favorites
This is a painting called the 13th crossing. Artist: Great Lakes artist James Clary.
He passed in 2018.

I could never afford his originals however he produced limited series prints which I purchased and framed and still enjoy today.

A second print I still own:
NAMING_OF_OLD_IRONSIDES

Old Ironsides.
With the print came a sliver of the mast which I included when framed.

These pics remind me of some of the ones my dad had in his office many years ago. Timeless!

They are great.

Some are still available.

Is this artist from the Great Lakes region?

Great lakes guy but also has other artwork available.
Has a classic of the seas section.
Did a Titanic print followed by prints of the Titanic on the on floor from photos of the wreck. I have one of the original Titanic prints, 80 bucks, 3K today if they have one available.

8o bucks for the print and spent 350 bucks on framing. LOL.

2 Likes

The most amazing ship I got to see was when visiting Stockholm.

The Vassa Museum

1 Like

I thought so. His pics has that feel to them. “Edmund Fitzgerald” I wonder if listens to Gordan Lightfight? :smiley:

1 Like

I like these 16th century Spanish Caravel designs and I am fascinated by comparing the 18th century designs to gauge what advancements have been made. The HMS Victory had a lot of great ideas that still apply in todays sailing ships.

Construction of these ships were quite different too.

Largest British Wooden ship ever built HMS Victoria for the Navy at the time?

HMS Victoria was the last British wooden first-rate three-decked ship of the line commissioned for sea service. With a displacement of 6,959 tons, she was the largest wooden battleship which ever entered service. She was also the world’s largest warship until the completion of HMS Warrior, Britain’s first ironclad battleship, in 1861. Victoria´s hull was 79.2 metres (260 ft) long and 18.3 metres (60 ft) wide. She had a medium draught of 8.4 metres (27.5 ft). Her hull was heavily strapped with diagonal iron riders for extra stability. Victoria was the first British battleship with two funnels. She was armed with a total of 121 guns (32 8-inch smooth-bore muzzle-loading guns on the lower gun deck, 30 8-inch (200 mm) guns on the central gun deck, 32 32-pounders on the upper gun deck, 26 32-pounders and one 68-pounder on the upper deck). Victoria was ordered on 6 January 1855, laid down on 1 April 1856 at Portsmouth, and launched on 12 November 1859. She cost a total of £150,578 (2010: £11,764,000) and had a complement of 1,000. During trials in Stokes Bay on 5 July 1860 Victoria reached a top speed of 11.797 knots (21.848 km/h), making her the fastest three decker worldwide, along with the French Bretagne.

1 Like

MISS_BUD

1 Like

Speed demon! What is the top speed of this monster?

Boats are capable of speeds of 200+ mph on the straightaways and qualifying average lap speeds range from 130-165 mph.

They race them on the Detroit river. COVID killed the races since 2019 and they are trying to restart the races again.

Hydroplane configuration.

VIEW-7

How the Fitz sits today.

I wonder how deep that is? Is that a sonar imaging pic?

It still sits on the bottom of Lake Superior at 530 feet deep.

This is a painting of the site from the pictures taken from the submersible.

A very interesting story behind this ship. “Lake Michigan never gives up its dead”