A theory on why the Flat Earth Society exists

My goal for this post is not to start a debate on whether or not the Earth is flat. My goal is to explain why I think the FES (Flat Earth Society) exists.

When we think of Earth, the majority of humans think of it as being round.

We have images from space of Earth being round, and other planetary bodies in our solar system are also round. It impossible for NASA to control every image online. We have Elon Musk who recently put his Tesla Roadster in space, and you can view the Earth in the background.

However, there is a smaller portion of the population that believes in a Flat Earth theory. We have all heard of people describe “Flat Earthers” as crazy. We also hear that conspiracy theorists are crazy and have crazy ideas, not based in reality. Our society tries to marginalize those with new or “crazy” ideas, ideas that do not fit in the “normal box.” I believe that Flat Earth Society is misinformation to keep people away from the real truth. The underlying purpose of the FES is to stifle free thinking by purposely creating an incorrect notion, and then have our society ridicule individuals over those beliefs. It also puts conspiracy theorists in a more negative light.

“Gaia theory or the Gaia principle, proposes that living organisms interact with their surroundings on Earth to form a synergistic and self-regulating, complex system that helps to maintain and perpetuate the conditions for life on the planet.” I want to further suggest that the Earth is alive. Trees and plants have consciousness, but could it be possible that the whole planet is a conscious being? I do not have scientific evidence to support my claim that the Earth is a living, intelligent being. Returning to my main point, I believe people are being conditioned to ridicule ideas that would fundamentally change our perspective of the Earth. If we did know that the Earth was a living being, how would that change our perspective? I believe humanity would care more about reducing pollution, and care more about reducing our trash waste. We would treat our planet with more respect than we currently do.

Indigenous people have a connection with the Earth that our modern society has lost. People roll their eyes at the tree-hugging hippies, but what if those people are trying to connect with the tree consciousness, or trying to connect with Mother Earth, or Mother Gaia?

TL;DR - In summation, humanity is waking up and questioning our reality. They are trying to make sense of the world around them, and not just trust what a mainstream source says, and for that, I commend them. So whether you believe if the Earth is round or not, or whether the Earth is alive or not, it does not really matter. By ridiculing people who believe that the Earth is flat, we control and pressure people to conform. When our society ridicules ideas that challenge the status quo, we feel uncomfortable, and we become less of a free thinking society.

1 Like

Flat Earth is a psyop or test to see how information spreads on facebook.

• started on facebook

• had immediately a ton of well made yt videos and content

• so stupid it attracts people who spread it just for lolz

• not stupid enough that certain retards fall for it

You didn’t read or understand the OP at all. The modern flat earth theory existed far before facebook.

As a former lurker of the Flat Earth Society forums, I don’t think you get it, and I don’t think the millions of autistic people prone to knee-jerk reactions get it either. By focusing on “truth”, “correctness”, and “facts” you betray your inner disposition towards elevating dogma and appeals to authority and canon and also your inability to be anything other a serious, boring mentally old person who can’t play around. I get the impression that many who show disdain for flat earth discussion care more about the shape of the earth than flat earthers, which begs the question. Why do people get sucked into debunking flat earth theory? The theory would never have grown legs and left the confines of the flat earth society forums if people didn’t have an obsessive need for control over what other people think and say. It’s popularity doesn’t reflect ignorance but rather how society tries to control people and in response others champion the opposing side out of rebelliousness and spite.

Hello frens - glad to see you all here.

@ParanormalTendencies I grew up in a traditional conservative family. My parents became born again Christians when I was 9 and although I never converted myself, I went to their church for the next 6-7 years. During that period, I met people who believed that illnesses are caused by demons, that the Earth is only 6k years old, that PokĂ©mon cards are demonic, etc etc. Trust me, they weren’t CIA agents trying to spread misinformation for the purpose of making conspiracy theorists look bad. I think it’s amazing that you consider yourself a free thinker, and yet you accuse the flat earthers of being tools of the establishment simply because their ideas seem too ridiculous to you.

1 Like

Most people could care less what others believe. It’s when they try and force their beliefs on everyone then people take offense.

i.e gays and gay rights. Most people could care less if someone is gay but get pissed when gays demand special rights.

Welcome to the forum PT. Historically people believed the earth to be flat. Even at least one author of the Bible described it so. With straight lines and corners.

However, clearly it is spherical.

I still think it’s interesting how the general public scoffed at the flat-earthers, yet were not able to debunk them, they had to call upon the help of academics, it just shows how much of what we “know” is just fed to us and we must be aggressive to new ideas since there is only one truth to most people, the consensus on reality as told to us in school; the consensus that you are not allowed to question. I’m fine with people rationalising reality however they want, it challenges the monopoly that certain institutions have on telling us what is what.

At the heart of the FES is a noble anti-authoritarian message, that is why I don’t knock them for their theories.

I am pretty sure it’s much more simple, socio-political issue. On one hand in the past two decades people got unprecedented means of acquiring information and staying in contact - the internet. At the same time, as all kinds of people could get to voice, standards of education in many cases went down pushed back by political agendas - lots of insane shit acquired a platform it didn’t have before.

On top of that, current generations enjoy standard of living on average much better than it was even 50 years before, at least when it comes to the middle class, all without any real cause to fight, without any great hardship comaprable with ones of the past etc

So, you have rebels without cause, bullshit without any filter, encouragement of regressive-leftist policies like fighting against meritocracy, equality of outcome rather than opportunity, feelings over facts and progressive dumbing down of decadent population. Thus, societies full of retards form and you get flatearthers. Or twitter.

Flat Earth was revived and promoted big time recently, along with veganism. They are both psyops.

They are intermingled on purpose with various movements so that the establishment (meaning that which owns the mass media) can discredit them and say:
“Such and such movement consists of nutters like flat earthers / vegans.”

Kinda the Pastafarian thing but inside out and upside down.

I’ve been around the world on several ships. None ever fell off the edge.