A Reminder on Forum Conduct

I’m not trying to win an argument here, I’m simply having a conversation trying to figure out what it is you’re trying to accomplish and the best way to get there.

Call me crazy but I was always raised and educated to believe that the truth is always worth defending and mindless hate and lies should be called out for what they are.

Sunshine is always an effective disinfectant even in the rhetorical world.

I didn’t think or say that you were. I was addressing the point you made about dealing with posters who you’ve had a long exchange with but just won’t deviate. Don’t waste your time. Most people reading can see who won an argument even if there are 1000+ posts after the winning/losing exchange.

Same here…I was also raised to treat everyone with dignity and respect. If someone is saying something I don’t like that doesn’t give me the right to go nuclear on them just because. It’s not personal. That’s the thing. People all over the place say and do crazy stuff. You are never going to change what they think or say. Best you can do is win the argument if you feel the need to and move on. If you are tested…that means it was worth the effort.

And this brings us full circle. A lie unchallenged repeated often enough eventually will be perceived as the truth.

A lie will always be a lie and those that constantly project them as truth in spite of all evidence to the contrary will always be liars.

There’s no polite or politically correct way to address them than I know of.

Some lies and those who constantly repeat them need to be called out and shown for same.

Now one last thing, next post… .

Let me suggest this.

Hard and fast rule, keep the conspiracies in the “conspiracy forum” instead of the constantly derailing of virtually every thread as some Masonic, ■■■■■■■ or similar conspiracy.

That’s how 90% of our threads if not more get derailed generating all of the other problems that follow.

How would you like us to address it when they pop up?

If you’d rather not reactivate the flag system shall we just keep on with the @ and if we do, will you please delete those posts or move them into one grand conspiracy thread so we can have some decent conversations here absent same?

@Patriot handles the early morning AM shift. He’s the only one who can put that flagging system back on, but on our end we’ve talked about it a ton. We have also been trying hard to get all conspiracy threads in the conspiracy category - believe me. @Patriot is working on a way to actually select multiple off topic posts from multiple threads and create one unique thread…making all off-topic conversations now on-topic and categorized. I don’t understand all of it yet but I’ve seen it demonstrated and it works.

For now…the @ alerts work. I now have the joy of getting emails and text messages. It literally sends an alarm.

On several other forums using the same format I see it done regularly.

At “hannityland” for example all of the raving insane lunatic “Hate Trump” threads simply get merged into one closed thread.

We have a couple of decent mod’s over there but one of them is about as bright as turnip and even he has figured out how to move those threads so it can’t be too hard.

Our biggest issue here from whence most of the rest unfolds is a couple or three posters interjecting the ■■■ hating conspiracy crap into virtually every discussion. If it’s not one of those it’s the masons or the aliens.

That does nothing but derail the thread and pretty well ends any intelligent discussion.

I agree with that, and yes you guys can’t be everywhere, so I don’t think it’s not unreasonable to share some responsibility by asking us to do more self policing by respectfully resolving our own conflicts on this forum without getting you guys involved. Just for the record, you guys do a pretty awesome job moderating this site, and as KVN was apt to point out, if we get an email from either one of you that only means we really messed up and we need to change what we are doing.

1 Like

Before joining this site - I first heard of it on (I think) Twitter, before I was banned, and the person who recommended Political Bullpen warned that the level of discussion can be ‘extremely robust’, so expect it to be vigorous. That didn’t deter me because I like ‘calling a spade a spade’; but I have to say that in all the years I’ve been on various messageboard sites, I’ve never been so ‘consistently’ (note that word?) insulted as I have been on this one.

But I can live with it, and if I couldn’t, or I were dissatisfied with the very relaxed rules and the tolerant moderation, I’d find the solution quite easy . . . I’d resign and find another discussion forum, and that choice is available to every other member. One thing I wouldn’t do though, even if I disagree with them, is keep arguing with the administration.

1 Like

It wasn’t that long ago that the flag system was being abused. I made a joke about some silly things Didgevillage was saying about Mars and (I assume) he and some cronies flagged me for spamming!

It was a decent joke, too. I saw lots of other stuff getting frozen out. If I was a moderator, I’d have banned people just for being royal hemorrhoids, but that’s probably bad for business.

I’m a newer person here but am not new to forums. Try having a public conversation like this with the moderators over at Political Forum or Debate Politics Forums. You would instantly get banned for challenging them or the thread would be locked after a few replies. I think some of you Founding Members are taking this level of hospitality for granted. My two cents.

3 Likes

Our mod’s here aren’t power tripping bullies with badges.

They respect us and get it in return.

Tell me about it! Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. :grimacing: But hey, their loss is PB’s gain? :sunglasses: :laughing: