A moment in history from George Washington

George Washington wrote: It was the Divine Providence of God that guided the Americans through the Revolution, victory, and the adoption of the newly adopted Constitution and he prays that the same providence will continue to sustain them now that the Constitution is under attack.

“That Providence which has hitherto smiled on the honest endeavors of the well meaning part of the People of this Country will not, I trust, withdraw its support from them at this crisis.”

What would he say now about the attack on our rule of law by Democrats? What would he say about the left who denounce christianity at the drop of a hat?

He’d be billed as a radical religious Christian Extremist today.

And a nazi white supremacist.

GW was a Mason. I grew up in a Masonic family that had a relatively wide range of faith/beliefs The Masons that were not churchgoers were rather circumspect about thier personal faith.

I do suspect, for no historically supported reason, that GW was thus circumspect about his public expressions of faith so as not to drag either himself or the US Government into the faith of the various local populations of the young country. The Puritans, Calvinists, Anglicans, and quite minority Catholics could easily be at each other’s throats like they were in Europe.

It behooved Washington to express his belief in the divine support of the founding in neutral language that did not invite sectarian argument.

I have not written on this previously, but always meant to.

Today, he might merely look at the ground and shake his head.

1 Like

If I remember right he was also a devout Presbyterian.

Both of my grandfathers were very devout believers and both had achieved the highest ranks of Masonry. They were quite able to differentiate between the two ad work God into the position of the “Grand Architect of The Universe” with ease.

The non sectarian nature of the Masonic Mysticism just allows them to have members of all faiths or none at all as well as Christians.

At Masonic Functions all else is secondary and they tend to avoid religious discussions among the members of different faiths for the most part.

What would he say now about the attack on our rule of law by Democrats? What would he say about the left who denounce christianity at the drop of a hat?

George Washington marched on his own troops at Alexander Shitbag Hamilton’s behest.

Yep, and then there was MacArthur’s attack on “The Bonus Army”.

Some of our history is rather shameful.

George Washington was an Anglican and served for many years as a vestryman in his church.

Ahh, that’s it. The two have combined into one since and sometimes I fail to separate them.

Precisely why I was thinking that…

Correct. The Anglican Church became the Episcopal Church after the Revolution.