A Japanese epic movie about Nichiren (Sun Lotus) the Great Bodhisattva of Japan (1222-1282)

Here is a 1979 Japanese movie about Nichiren.

Although it leaves out many details and depth, it depicts Nichiren the Great Bodhisattva of Japan and the severe persecution he faced.

Anyone interested in religion and history, should familiarize themselves with Nichiren and his writings just as they would study Jesus.

With an understanding of cause and effect, one can realize how persecution of such a great Buddha as Nichiren, just as Christ was persecuted, leads to “general punishment” of the people of a country. Japan’s evil causes of slander of Nichiren and the Lotus Sutra, led to becoming a country hit with Nuclear bombs. The Supreme Law is strict!

When the Mongols were invading Japan as foretold by Nichiren in the writing called “Securing the Peace of the Land, by the Establishment of True Buddhism”(1260) (addressed to the chief of the Shogunate in Japan). Nichiren famously, kneeled and prayed with the Lotus Sutra, , for the country’s protection and the “Kamikaze” winds rose up and destroyed the Mongol’s 500 + warships. This was a well known historical reality.

Later, Japan used the “Kamikaze” term for suicide missions during WW2, even though much of Japan had already betrayed Nichiren’s teachings using the story of Nichiren’s power of faith in a twisted way.

Because of Japan’s previous slander, the Christian world, still has residual animosity of Japan and some would lump Nichiren in with ww2 Japan and slander or ignore Nichiren. Just as some mistaken Buddhists might consider Christians as heretics, the same is true in the reverse, that Christian might think Buddhism is heretical. In reality, they are the same. The Lotus Sutra explained that the true Buddhism appears in other countries, founded by people who are incarnations with different names.

As someone born Christian, I began to study Buddhism very young, when noticing that much from the Gospels came directly Buddhist Sutras. When I first read Buddhist Sutras, I realized it was the historical origin of “The Sermon on the Mount.”—that Jesus was actually teaching Buddhism to the people of Judea—the ■■■■■ Greeks and Romans and others in the area. The Buddhist principal called “Zuiho Bini” means Buddhism is taught according to the country, using language and terms, familiar to the people of a given land.

Nichiren in a way was like a “2nd coming,” but in the far off country of Japan, that had never even heard of Christianity until hundreds of years later.

Watch the movie on a smart TV if possible. It’s a wide screen epic.

https://youtu.be/gPHS8a5pH5I

1 Like

At the 1:10 Mark, is he doing evening Gongyo?

1 Like

They said it was the middle of the night, so that would be Ushitora Gongyo (between 2-4 am, so the others called it ascetism) and at that moment, verse section of the Juryohon Chapter. (Duration of Life Chapter 16) beginning with " Jiga toku burai” or “Since I attained Buddhahood,"…

I just watched this movie last night for a second time and thought it was both funny and wonderful at the same time.

The first time watching I viewed it without the subtitles and doing so I got a real sense of not only the Japanese culture and it’s language but of its emotional experience in a more truthful sense as well.

What I found funny were the fighting scenes. It was almost folly gone awry where they clumsily try to attack each other but to no avail become victims of Karma’s humorous cause and effect. Then there is the rock throwing when Nicherin says something they (people) take offence to. The sounds they make like marbles or wooden balls hitting a surface makes it seem funny to me. Sounds like today’s progressive left. Lol.

The sound track is beautifully done. Full of rich textures and emotion really tie this film together. The cinematography has a Kurosawa style to it that is also beautiful. I wish I could see this film on the big screen because it’s obvious a lot of thought went into producing such a beautiful film that is pleasing to The Eye.

Questions:

What was the significance of the hair lockes? Why did Nicheren cut a Locke of the women’s hair in one scene?

In the ending scene, in the back ground is the original Gohunzon? Is that what is on display today in Japan? Did that actually survive throughout the years?

1 Like

Hamayu was becoming a lay nun. The hair cutting was symbolic. She received a new name. Little is known about her in history. Nichiren wrote letters to her but it is hard to fill in the historical details without going back in time.

There is another Movie from, around 1952, also called Nichiren and she appears in that one too. Last I looked it was not available on youtube,

There is one more Nichiren movie, from 1958 mostly centering on the Mongol Invasion. It has some great moments too:

I will check this out, seeing I have time to watch movies now! :grinning:

What about my second question?

The Gohunzon that is enshrined at Soka? Is it the original ? Like the one in the movie?

1 Like

The Gohonzon used by Soka is a Nichikan Shonin Gohonzon- 26th Nichiren Shoshu high priest born 1665.

I heard they purchased an original Nichiren Gohonzon. Nichiren Shoshu says the SokaGakkai used the Nichikan Gohonzon without permission.

The Gohonzon in the movie is a copy of an original one used by Nichiren Sect based on a 1280 Gohonzon.

The Dai Gohonzon, originally the central Gohonzon used by Nichiren Shoshu (Fuji Sect) and Soka Gakkai, exists at Daisekiji temple of Nichiren Shoshu.

Until the Nichiren Shoshu and Sokagakkai wake up and reunite, it is just another long lasting schism.

The Sokagakkai today is a political machine. Instead of spreading Buddhism, they turned into a leftwing lobby for Komeito party and just a voting block that goes door to door getting votes. Their membership dropped enormously. In the meantime, no one knows if Daisaku Ikeda is alive.

They should return to their original purpose as a lay group of Nichiren Shoshu. Nichiren Shoshu, likewise, need to disavow the actions of former High Priest, Nikken. Both Ikeda and Nikken are to blame for the pathetic schism.

Just like the original schism after Nichiren’s passing. when the elder priests had a schism. Breaking unity of the sangha is a fundamental bad cause.

Nichiren Wrote, “If you fall down, you must pick yourself up from the same spot you fell.”

Will watch later tonight.

1 Like

Watch the 1979 one some posts above its better video quality, then the Mongol invasion one.