Raising and Eating Sheep

Wow I had no idea that there were bison here on the East coast. I’m a bit south of you on the NC/SC border. I’m on the North Carolina side.

My sister-in-law abandoned her husband and kids here to go shack up with a bison rancher in South Dakota. That’s what made me think of the Dakotas and bison.

Do you do vegetables or do you just trade in meat? What made you want to get into this lifestyle. Most people do it because that’s how they grew up.

I dabble in everything I can that feeds me while bringing in profit, especially when it involves a deceptively low amount of labor (just did a thread on organic gardening).

This may sound cliche, but after I got tired of killing Muslims, I felt the primal urge to work the land and raise life instead.

3 Likes

When the herds were almost wiped out ( God forgive us ), the few that survived were bred and slowly spread around the US & Canada. That would prevent a disease from wiping out the remaining bison. Spread them around. There was a time when one herd ( more or less ) was spread over 4 states. Hard to believe.

1 Like

Oh man I miss those days.

Now I’m going to include your cost doesn’t include rosemary and garlic. :wink:

Why would it? Those are growing in the garden from last year’s seeds. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think it might be good time to start rotating em. Figure ever year raise two fresh breeders and sell off the less producing older ones…or turn em into mutton. Ground lamb with pork sausage is good…specially in Lazana.

I was never much of gardener. :wink:

They’ll get rotated out when they get closer to 9 years old, but for now, I’m still getting the same 50/50 twin rate as when I started. Had to open the reply bubble to figure out you were talking about rotating the animals and not the crops. Maybe I started too many topics today. lol

Raising and eating sheep? Ewwwwww lol

1 Like

We kept rotating our animals…always looking for ways to improve our stock. But if you’re happy with production and are good mothers then you’re OK. Seems to recall after certain point mothers will start abandoned their offspring’s. I remember having to bottle feed some of them. Of course the mothers gets executed for diner.

1 Like

If not for me, these sheep would be slaves in a sex brothel somewhere in the Middle Easy.

You’re welcome for my service! :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

1 Like

LOL seek help…

1 Like

The idea here is not about quantity or profit, but by sustaining nutrition at a net benefit to my wallet, with as little physical labor as humanely possible (the latter part being by far the most important).

Just dont let me have to read your mixed up with some Hollywood types…hmmmmm

I hear you. The problem I see starting with fresh stock every 9 years is you don’t have older stock showing younger ones the ropes.

You may get only couple that are nature mothers and then you’re up all night bottle feeding the rest.

I’m just trying to remember what we did. After dad died we got rid of the sheep.

Hollywood…? You mean like this scary bitch?? lol

You didn’t!!!@@@@@@!!!#agetoutofjailcardonce

1 Like

But for real though, I only hang out with the “good” Hollywood actors. :sunglasses:

Hate to ask…who are they?