Higher Education should be reformed! But will it ever happen?

Cutting the time down from 8 years (4 years HS + 4 years college) to say 5 or 6 years would make it more affordable. For most people and the jobs they’re going to do there’s nothing gained in sitting in classes for the additional 2-3 years.

1 Like

why dont you point out our “racism” Firedupdem?
Free farm labour? LMFAO.

Illegals have always done agricultural labour since Teddy Roosevelt was president, ever heard of the bracero program from Teddy Roosevelt distance cousin Franklin D.Roosevelt set up?

why so dramatic Firedupdem, who mentioned child labor?
Getting rid of labor unions is a good idea , they are reason along with Democrat policy why Detroit is dead, the midwest is dead.

The unions were a big money maker for the Italian cosa nostra organization in every major U.S.City
5 families in New York, even the DeCavalcante in New Jersey which the Sopranos is based from

Get rid of the unions they are parasites

Not every person should attend college. The expectation is everyone should attend college. the norm is no longer a HS education but a college degree. Likely the results of off shoring so many blue collar jobs over the decades.

On of the reasons college costs have escalated as the unlimited supply of money available via student loans. Colleges are ready to take all that’s available.
Authors David Lucca, Taylor Nadauld, and Karen Shen employed sophisticated statistical techniques to analyze the effects of the increasing availability of federal aid to undergraduates between 2008 and 2010. They conclude the institutions that were most exposed to the increases “experienced disproportionate tuition increases.”

By the authors’ calculation, there is about a 65 percent pass-through effect on federal student loans. In other words, for every $3 increase in such loans, colleges and universities raise tuition by $2.

It is very good to have a study by so unimpeachable a source as the New York Fed supporting the conclusion that quite a few others have reached over the years: Increasing student aid to make college “more affordable” is something of an impossibility. The more “generous” the government becomes with grants and loans, the more schools raise their rates.

You are preaching to the choir here regarding that. I petty familiar with many of the reasons the cost of college has skyrocketed. Government involvement in student loans is clearly one of them. As far as I’m concerned higher education is largely a scam. Eight years of sitting in classrooms “learning” (I use the term learning loosely since it is by large rote learning) content most of which will be largely forgotten and which has little practical value in ones ultimate occupation. What I hope for is that more and more Americans wake up to this scam and demand and/or force real changes that will benefit them. For example high school should not be 4 years especially for those who want to go into a trade.

There are numerous career fields that a degree is beneficial or a requirement.

In many cases licensing is the driving mechanism that requires a degree.

Can a person be trained as a Nurse with out a degree? An arguable point.

And yet, isn’t it ironic that many of those complaining about paying student loans look to the very source that caused the problem to fix the problem?

2 Likes

Being trained to be a Nurse, and the overwhelming majority of professions, can be done in well under eight years (4 years HS + 4 years college). That is one of the main points of my OP.

You can become a nurse (RN) with two years of college after high school.

If you want a BSN, you have to attend a 4 year college,

I understand that. The focus of my OP is not about what the current requirements of a specific program or degree is but about how long they should be. For example to be a chemist I had to get a 4 year degree, but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of my coursework was completely useless in my profession. What good is system that makes people spend two to three extra years sitting in classrooms that is useless for them in the workforce? All that does is drive up the costs for higher ed and reduce the number of productive years in the workforce earning a living.

I agree.

My hope is that more and more Americans wake up to the fact that much of what is done in higher education is on a practical level useless and essentially a scam! And if enough people wake up to this fact that they demand change and we can have a system that is more practical, less time consuming and less expensive.