Arrest of Huawei financial officer demonstrates U.S. willingness to impose its laws abroad

On the contrary, that is precisely what extradition treaties are for.

Should Canada be able to have a US prosecutor extradited to Canada if they determine the US prosecutor misused their official powers to issue an arrest warrant on someone in Canada?

This thread that you created isn’t about hypotheticals. We can play the “what if” game all night if you want to but the answer will always be “it depends” - accept your loss in this debate and lurk more before you decide to be OP.

3 Likes

Wew - eternally and permanently BTFO.

2 Likes

My honest opinion is that all the comment replies so far have been very thick-headed, with people seeming not to want to expend much mental effort to see the issue.

This is the type of reaction that may likely put me off from posting anything in this forum in the future.

I’m so far gathering the perception that this forum lacks a culture of thoughtfulness and is of low intellectual quality.

As they say, “You get the government you deserve”
My immediate emotional inclination is to say “I hope you all find yourself in this lady’s shoes.”

:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed: Dude, you’re a trip. Do you question with a straight face whether or not it’s legal to trick or fool a bank. I’m thinking you have very little knowledge of financial crimes.

Oh good god, you showed up today and you can disappear tomorrow, if you don’t like the playground.

All she did was make a routine automatic online transaction through the services offered by the bank.

To try to turn that into “fooling and tricking the bank” is obtuse.

Let’s try this again…YES

So now anytime someone makes a payment to a foreign company they have to do background research to investigate if that company has ever sold anything to another country that happened to be in violation of US sanctions?

Where you from kaz? I don’t agree with all of our sanctions, but they are present policy by our president. I really don’t know how else to explain this to you.

And those policies are apparently being imposed on foreign citizens living under a different government.

You okay with Ireland having American women arrested for abortion? (women who have never been to Ireland)
I don’t know how else to make you understand. There’s a huge problematic issue here.

(Also I doubt the current US President actually has anything directly to do with this, so let’s just drop that tangent of thinking)

Not exactly, but US banks cannot be used in any fashion for transactions with sanctioned countries, which I admit are plenty right now. This lady needs to lawyer up and beat the US if she can. :man_shrugging:

I’ll need more information to respond to this.

Well, just because you doubt it doesn’t mean it isn’t so.

She didn’t make a transfer to a company in a prohibited country. She made a transfer to a company where that other company was conducting business with a prohibited country.

Isn’t it a bit of a stretch to say a foreign citizen can not use a US bank to make a transaction to a (second) company if that (second) company is conducting business with another (third) company in a prohibited country?

I just think that’s a pretty tenuous and indirect connection.

Actually this OP is gas lighting in order to establish a perceived criticism that the US is imposing their laws abroad. The OP is leaving out important details such as money laundering and sanctions violations to which a US company was used! Therefore the Poster is either severely misinformed of the details of this case or is purposely omitting them, nevertheless the OP is misleading and not accurately telling the whole story!

1 Like

Where you from kaz???

I understand that legal argument, but still, it’s a pretty routine automatic bank transaction, done from a laptop by a foreign citizen in another country.
Yet you want to extradite them over that.

All sorts of corporate executives could make an online transaction with a couple clicks of the mouse.
How do we even know this wasn’t an honest mistake and she was just being careless, forgetting she should have used one of her accounts from another bank?

Regardless if it is routine or not is irrelevant , the simple fact you are leaving out details of the case suggests to me you are misinformed about the particulars of it and don’t know how international commerce trade laws work especially where sanctions are in place to which they were in violation of.