U.S. Warships Enter Disputed Waters of South China Sea as Tensions With China Escalate

Oh oh

American warships have sailed into disputed waters in the South China Sea, according to military analysts, heightening a standoff in the waterway and sharpening the rivalry between the United States and China, even as much of the world is in lockdown because of the coronavirus.

The America, an amphibious assault ship, and the Bunker Hill, a guided missile cruiser, entered contested waters off Malaysia. At the same time, a Chinese government ship in the area has for days been tailing a Malaysian state oil company ship carrying out exploratory drilling. Chinese and Australian warships have also powered into nearby waters, according to the defense experts.

Despite working to control a pandemic that spread from China earlier this year, Beijing has not reduced its activities in the South China Sea, a strategic waterway through which one-third of global shipping flows. Instead, the Chinese government’s yearslong pattern of assertiveness has only intensified, military analysts said.

“It’s a quite deliberate Chinese strategy to try to maximize what they perceive as being a moment of distraction and the reduced capability of the United States to pressure neighbors,” said Peter Jennings, a former Australian defense official who is the executive director of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.

Since January, when the coronavirus epidemic began to surge, the Chinese government and Coast Guard ships, along with maritime militias, have been plying contested waters in the South China Sea, tangling with regional maritime enforcement agencies and harassing fishermen.

Earlier this month, the Vietnamese accused a Chinese patrol ship of ramming and sinking a Vietnamese fishing boat.

Last month, China opened two new research stations on artificial reefs it has built on maritime turf claimed by the Philippines and others. The reefs are also equipped with defense silos and military-grade runways.

Over the weekend, the Chinese government announced that it had formally established two new districts in the South China Sea that include dozens of contested islets and reefs. Many are submerged bits of atoll that do not confer territorial rights, according to international law.

After the sinking of the Vietnamese boat, the State Department urged China in a statement “to remain focused on supporting international efforts to combat the global pandemic, and to stop exploiting the distraction or vulnerability of other states to expand its unlawful claims in the South China Sea.”

The Chinese government has made vast claims to the South China Sea that conflict with demarcations made by five other governments. An international tribunal has dismissed most of China’s claims to the waterway, but Beijing does not recognize the ruling and has instead built naval bases on reefs it now controls.

While the United States has no territorial claims in the South China Sea, the American Navy says it has kept the peace in these waters for decades. American military officials have chastised China for its increased militarization of the waterway.

And regional governments have worried that the United States has a habit of briefly showing up in hot spots only to depart, leaving them to contend with an increasingly muscular Beijing.

“What is the intention of the U.S. here?” said Ian Storey, a South China Sea expert at the ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, a think-tank in Singapore. “Is it just to say, ‘We’re here?’ Or are they going to shadow the Chinese survey ship to try to stop it from operating?”

The United States Indo-Pacific Command did not specify the exact location of the two American warships, citing operational restrictions, but it confirmed that the warships were in the South China Sea.

On Tuesday, the United States Navy posted pictures of the warships on Twitter, accompanied by a third vessel, a destroyer called the Barry, saying that the expeditionary strike group was operating “in support of security and stability in the Indo-Pacific region.”

The area where the American warships have been sailing is around 200 nautical miles off the coast of Malaysia, defense experts said. Malaysia, China and Vietnam all claim rights to the natural resources in this part of the contested waterway.

The Chinese survey ship, called the Haiyang Dizhi 8, had previously tracked similar oil operations off Vietnam.

Defense experts who have reviewed information about military movements in the area but are not authorized to share them publicly, said that a Chinese warship has been operating off the coast of Malaysia. The destroyer is called the Wuhan, named after the city where the coronavirus outbreak began.

At a time when China has been sending doctors and personal protective equipment to Malaysia to combat the viral epidemic there, the Malaysian government has not publicly protested the Chinese survey ship’s activities or its security cordon of armed Chinese Coast Guard vessels. The prolonged presence of Chinese maritime militia and Coast Guard ships in another oil-rich area off Malaysia has not prompted an official protest either.

From the link What is the intention of the U.S. here*?” said Ian Storey, a South China Sea expert at the ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, a think-tank in Singapore. “Is it just to say, ‘We’re here?’ Or are they going to shadow the Chinese survey ship to try to stop it from operating?”

Whatever it is, you can bet ya bottom dollar they’ll fuck it up! :rofl:

The U.S. ships are in international waters and are only shadowing the survey ship.I believe you are doubting the competence of the U.S.Navy to properly handle the situation. Are you siding with Communist China to take over every square inch of the South China Sea??? Would it be different if it was a British ship involved??

You have about 35 military bases in the region, so is it any wonder the Chinese are so wary of you? Supposing they had about 35 military bases in and around north America?

Don’t bother with this mentally incompetent fool, he is a pro Maoist through and through!

1 Like

What little board credibility you have might have been increased if you had presented some factual perspicacity instead of insulting me ‘behind my back’, ie by craftily making sure I didn’t get a notification. I’m fucked if I know what makes you tick.

Communist China is doing enough to be a pain in the ass.They know what the results are in a conflict with the U.S.We aren’t the ones building these island military bases that will threaten SE Asia. I haven’t seen any British or Aussie ships sailing there.They are supposed to be our Allies.With 1/3 of the world’s shipping going through the South China , its important to protect international waters.Communist China likes to create diversions so you can’t concentrate on one thing.Remember the U.S. isn’t the agressor here.

Don’t worry about the Aussies, they are waking up and our ships have priority porting there than the Chinese. Duerte though is another stray that we neglected and need to fix that relationship.

You were so busy blowing your own aggressive trumpet that you forgot (?) to answer my question as to how the US would feel if it were surrounded by Chinese military installations? I won’t expect you to answer it now, but just mind your own fucking business for once, because the US doesn’t know what’s best for everyone else on the planet; if it did, the USA would be a better place than it is now. I’ll bet the citizens of Beijing and Shanghai can walk their streets in safety, which is more than we in the west can??

‘The West has become a dangerous and disruptive force in the world.’ The West, beadencup, not China??

Oh yeah, the US is just the right country to lecture others on how to control their drugs problems? Jesus bloody wept! It would be funny were it not so fucking ridiculous! Get real ffs. ‘We need to fix that relationship’ :roll_eyes: You are so weird.

Oh look everyone the asshole of this place is back spewing the same shit just on a different day. Yawn!

|If you had any nous or sense of self-worth as an American, you’d know the purport of ‘The bigger they are, the harder they fall.’? Now fuck off, and stop insulting me with your nonsensical posts. Like I said - sooo weird!!

You are one stupid fk! You responded to me! Now it’s you that can fk off with your communist BS propaganda! As always you don’t know shit!

I’m just calling you out whenever you need to be called out, so you’ll just have to put up with it won’t you!

Apparently you love responding to me because you are a little asshat troll here with your retarded posts. So comfy in your computer are we?

Not so! I respond to you because I can’t stand stupidity nor arrogance. After all, this is a discussion forum?

Right because you are just oozing with high intellectual thoughts that stimulates conversations here! (Sarcasm).

Holy crap! You really are one delusional moron! Maybe if you learn to read you might actually attain a level of self awareness to see how retarded your statements are. Judging from the number of people that respond to you is not saying much either! You are just some Radom nobody on the internet looking for validation, to what is already a meaningless existence!

I won’t dignify that juvenile temper tantrum with a considered response.

You just responded dumbass! Oh boy! The irony of it all! No wonder no one here hardly responds to you, as it’s clear you are mentally challenged!

But it wasn’t a ‘considered’ response was it, you moron, merely an acknowledgement? FFS I humiliate you out of sight but instead of backing off, you keep coming back for more. Have you no self-perception as to what others are thinking of your stupidity? You’re the sort of American who gives America a bad name.