Self Driving Cars - Yes or No

I know this, the next car I buy will have adaptive cruise and lane centering, it will make for much more fun and relaxing long highway road trips. I’ll still be behind the wheel ready to take over but it will eliminate the tedium of doing the actual driving. Like I said, driver-less cars are already here and on the road right now, many people just don’t know it yet. Here’s a current list.

I definitely don’t need a license. It’s just that the government has a need to be all up in my business. lol

You certainly don’t ned a license to drive until they stop you and ask for your license.

The drivers license is certainly a revenue generator however insures a minimum standard in ability. Or at least it’s suppose to do that.

if by minimum standard you mean can manage to breathe and read on a second grade level, ok.

1 Like

Congratulations … the car can safely drive through the blizzard, but nobody can afford the car. :wink:

Check the list I posted of cars with active lane centering and adaptive cruise to a full stop, there are affordable models on that list. Like it or not, self driving cars are already here. A driver just has to be in the seat to put on a show for the luddites for now.

Nope. Not till I’m old. For now, I’m having trouble owning a truck without a manual transmission!

Of course, I’m quite sure there were some people that refused to give up their horse as well… Guess I’m just getting old!

Those systems work by detecting nearby obstacles by doppler sensors and to stay in your lane, they must be able to detect the lane lines. I agree, self driving cars are here and will be increasingly sharing our roads, but they are nowhere near capable of driving on all roads in all conditions. They are best suited for freeway commuting and low-speed city driving conditions and almost certainly, will be for many many years.

The average price of a new car today is $34,000. Cars are going the same way as housing … out of reach of lower middle income families. The fancier the automation on cars gets, the worse that will become.

I was checking out the new Escalades since they were mentioned to have hand-free steering features, and got curious as to what a fully loaded model was priced at.

I went to their site and started pricing options, and once I exceeded $115,000 in options, the price just said, “Please contact your local dealer for pricing.”

It didn’t cost much more than that when I bought my farm, holy crap. lol

Guidance Positioning Systems already know where the road is. Cameras aren’t needed to know where the lanes are.

The way they drive here that may be to high of a standard.

People drive 75+MPH and are less than a car length apart.

What could possibly go wrong???

Err no, if you had read the article I linked you would have found out they don’t just rely on lane lines. They also use 3d maps in conjunction with LIDAR to know where the lane is.

I havent read most of the posts on here but I’ll post an ethical question: if a self-driving car injures something (person, pets other cars, the driver itself etc…), whose fault is it? Is it the manufacturer’s fault (flawed AI design, faulty satellite receptors…) , or the driver’s fault (failure to maintain onboard computer, updating software, general car maintenance such as changing brake pads etc…)?

Similar to other potentially world-changing technologies and innovation (such as the nuclear power plant), the limit is not the sky, but with people and their (easily swayed) perception. Just ask the average person which car is safer a traditional gasoline or an electric vehicle, on average ( I assume) that most will say that an EV is more dangerous to drive in bc of the rechargeable batteries inside (thanks to the media’s doom and gloom every time a Tesla is on fire). Little do they realize that they are driving on a similarly flammable tank of material as the organic electrolytes in Lithium battery: gasoline.

Not so much. I can SEE if a driver is lethargic, distracted, texting, and do something to get their attention; wag my head (bright colored helmet), wave, honk, or blash the brights.

I will never know if HAL even knows I’m there until it starts trying to crush me.

The road width is 12 feet, your car is 6-7. Global positioning available for civilian use is not accurate enough to guide a car within that lane.

Are you familiar with the term parallax? The farther you get from the orbital path of the satellites, the worse it gets, thus many more calculations are required to achieve accurate positions. And for a vehicle doing 60-70 mph down the road, you simply run out of time (or computer power) to complete the calculations required to safely keep precise tabs on a vehicle’s position with respect to the roadway. Besides, I have never seen any evidence that “the system” has the location of every lane of every roadway “on file.”

Yeah, in the expensive experimental models.

Look up solid state LIDAR, cutting the costs of LIDAR way down. LIDAR has a resolution of four inches as compared to GPS 16 feet.

You have a crappy GPS. :wink:

My nav system knows what lane I’m in.

… knowing where I’m …

Which is why I refuse to even have a nav system, or smart phone for that matter.

Screenshot_1

1 Like