šŸ”“ Micro Vehicles

But Iā€™m talking about doing a burn outā€¦spinning enough to make white smoke. Can you do that?

I havenā€™t tried.

My guess is ā€œprobablyā€ but only if I was holding the brake.

I will give it a try tomorrow morning on the way in to work.

Apparently you can get it to really spin if you kill the traction control and stabilization control.

I doubt it will lay down an impressive plume of white smoke. But now Iā€™m curious to try. I think if it had double the HP and the same torque then that would do it. Donā€™t know how to make more HP in an EVā€¦but it seems plausible.

You might accomplish that by braking the non-driving wheels. (I assume it is not AWD), but that would be cheating in regard to doing a burnout.

Dragsters do burnouts before each run just to heat up the tires. They generally go a hundred or more feet down the strip in doing a burn out. When they are trying to keep the wheels from spinning (in the drag race), they use the clutch to limit the torque applied to the wheels by controlling the slippage of the clutch. If they allow two much pressure on the clutch plates, the wheels will break loose and spin and they will likely lose the race.

Motorcycles generally do burnouts by applying the front wheel brake and spinning the rear.

If your car is front wheel drive, you will likely be able to make smoke by applying the hand brake (unless it brakes the drive axles).

Anyway, what Iā€™m saying is that in an attempt to out drag the gas guzzlers, you will likely not lose traction from uncontrolled wheel spin. Your chirping likely occurs when you roll over a bump or depression that decreases your drives wheelā€™s down force and causes the chirp when the down force returns.

ā€¦or you get a short chirp when you stomp the accelerator causing the rear to drop and the force on the front wheels to decrease slightly.

2 Likes

Good post @asaratis - we need more motorhead threads.

1 Like

I am definitely a motorhead. Iā€™m not sure that I understand all that I know about engines and motors, but itā€™s difficult to blow smoke up my dress when it comes to what happens inside each or what happens when one turns a shaft.