Market Traders Chewin' The Fat

The dividend has been announced, 1.66-cents

Here is today’s missed short on the Euro/US$ pair

Today, 12:45GMT, was rate announcement day for the ECB, followed at 13:30GMT by a statement of what has been considered and what the longer term concerns might be, followed by a question and answer session with the press.

In the question and answer session a classic from Draghi: “…and today we asked ourselves where are we, and why are we here?” :rofl:

So trading EU is dangerous when certain people are speaking, especially Draghi who usually beats Trump for unexpected surprises. When it is all over, 14:30GMT, the market has a think about what has happened and then decides where it is going next.

So this shorting opportunity. For some reason the market found the words about reduced economic output and subdued activity, and probably hitting the inflation target a way up the road … to be encouraging enough to lift the price by around 0.5%.

After a stutter at 1.1380 the price headed down again. The brush with the level at 1.1380 is obvious from the chart below, although one could argue that some bravery was needed due to the fact that Draghi had only just switched off his mic.

I missed it … I missed it because I was looking at a 5-minute chart, and I was nursing a position on UsdJpy which has been running since yesterday … nearly salvaged too :sweat_smile:

EU-short-entry-miss-20190124

1 Like

I am with you Ex on missed opportunities.
My chart shows touches to virtually the pip of lines that just sit on my charts waiting to be touched and trade off them. Like Stu, I now have these on numerous pairs and the bounce showing on the eu chart attached is now so common on all of the pairs.
After the event it always looks so f*cking obvious and yet I am still failing to trade them to their full potential.
If I just sharpened up my trigger finger I could cream enough off the market to set up my own bank :star_struck:

e-u

2 Likes

I Left half of the long running, thinking it might have legs and closed out the short premature. :joy: Also had a fat finger at 1.1312 which I flattened sharpish :roll_eyes:
Can’t complain too much though !

EURUSD_2019-01-24_19-19-34

2 Likes

If my day was half that good I would be happy. I couldn’t see f*ck all today in advance and took sucxh shit trades that I clearly deserved to have my arse served up on a plate.
I am having a day off tomorrow without switching the screens on and will be having a serious talk with myself this weekend…

Don’t knock ya self out mate. Honestly my mind is like one of those kids etch a sketch things with trading, you just have to erase and crack on with the next picture.
https://youtu.be/3UUWkr4FUlo

1 Like

Yeah thanks Stu, your right, it just frustrates occassionally :+1:

1 Like

Nice hits, Stu Boy! :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t let it bug you, Rob. Tomorrow another day. I had a crappy week myself. Max SL hit twice. Down 9.2% on the week till this trade. Gonna let her run overnight. Everything says the EU gonna drop to 1150 - so. Problem, she never do what she supposed to do.

Capture

Don’t like overnight trades but this is a classic setup I’ve noticed several times since I’ve been trading. EU rate announcement and draggi news conference. Before speech, she drops if a dovish conference expected. (reverse order for positive reaction). Little reaction to actual rate announcement. Immediately spikes down at beginning of draggi conference which is very dovish. Then up sharply to a certain point, generally to the end of the conference. Then the drip - drip down begins.

Capture1

1 Like

Jim we are on collision course ! :joy: I’ve taken half off at 1.1322 and left final TP open. If other half comes back to me will be ok to lose the remainder of this joust to such a fine fellow !

EURUSD_2019-01-25_08-29-41

EDIT: closed another quarter at 1.1340… 1/4 left in the game to go to 1.35 :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

HaHa, once again the master shows grasshopper the way. Shouda took the money and run! :rofl:

3 Likes

Taken the loot on final 1/4 @ 1.1357, was joking about 1.35 too close for a weekend hold and negative swap :wink:

1 Like

Did you book some before the hold Jim ?

Only couple pips on that trade. Worst week I’ve had in some time but was able to get it back to break even with these two trades. Think I told you I have a “dumb ass” file I keep that I review every couple weeks to stay “humble”. :rofl: Added couple entries this week.

Capture

1 Like

Nice one Jim. I wasn’t going to but the bell went so I got in where you got out on the last one. Stop is up to 1.2 just see what happens. No harm can be done anyway.

EDIT +1.2 defo enough now.

1 Like

Looks you’ve had a really good week. :muscle: This is one of those times I happy to break even, get couple days of rejuvenation and come roaring back Monday! Have a great weekend, mate! :+1:

1 Like

Cheers Jim You too mate. Always a clean slate and do it all again :+1:

1 Like

Cheers Jim, I have had a day away from the charts, I will be raring to go on Monday. Sorry you have have suffered a poor week as well. Hope you have a cracking week next week to make up for it :+1:

1 Like