How much of the bible is real history?

Your inquiry seems honest, and since I know you to be a quality person I will take it seriously.

Nope, don’t give a care what you believe, other than I am tasked to spread the Gospel.

A parable is a very specifically defined thing, and “you” can be plural. Or should I have typed it in Texan?

I tire of all discussions about the Bible, that immediately dismiss the Bible as untimely man written fiction.

I did not assert that evolution was off topic, just inapplicable in the most important case.

That case is “macroevolution”. Yes men downselected wolf DNA to breed Chihuahuas, no one knows why. And finch beaks can adapt/select longer or shorter based on the food supply. This can easily be seen as God’s engineering of a non-fragile ecosystem.

However, the fossil record keeps bringing the very ape-like supposed human ancestors closer in time to modern man. In the roughly 5000 years of (partially) recorded human history, we should have improved a lot. I don’t see it.

But I digress.

The Bible has tons of historical places, events, persons, and times recorded in it.

Yes well just imagine where human evolution would be today if government hadn’t been in the way for the past 150+ years. Not just our government. We’ve had the technology for each person on the planet to generate their own electricity/food for well over 100 years locked behind patents which have been bought by the government. Ever wonder why the government is making a point of keeping this technology from the public? I don’t. What do all globalists have in common? They want the majority of society dependent on them. Giving people independence goes against their goals. As does freedom. It’s all connected.

You need to start an thread and suffer the consequences.

I was speaking of genetics, and don’t want to derail this thread.

You keep saying it’s off topic. You’re entitled to your opinion. I view the bible as propaganda and the goal of that propaganda similar to propaganda of like governments. So for me, it’s very much on topic. Disagree all you want. I’m fine with it.

The topic is the title of the thread.

Even if you think the Bible is whatever, since Moses most of the Bible was written within 100 years or less of the recorded events.

That is what I am discussing here. I might discuss other topics elsewhere.

And no one is making you respond. Interesting how you’re attempting to stifle discussion though since I’ve never once attempted to stifle yours.

1 Like

:rofl:

Mr. Miagi says: FOCUS!!!

What does Mr. Miagi have to do with the title of the thread? Asking for a friend.

Then one has to wonder why you opted to become involved in this thread. The very nature of the thread title and the OP pretty much guaranteed that opinions that will clash with your faith regarding the veracity of the Bible were going to be posted.

1 Like

Again … a cast of real characters (and times, places and events) does not make the story true. Any historical novel you have ever read shared those characteristics, yet the book is still listed on the best sellers list under fiction.

Like “Abraham Lincoln, vampire hunter.”

2 Likes

Well, not quite. I’m thinking more along the lines of a Herman Wouk or James Michener novel. :wink:

Fair point. :+1: :+1:

I voted you up on that one! Good laugh!

1 Like

Fact Checking the Bibile

Source: “Seeker.com

"Camels play a central role in Genesis and are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph and Jacob. But according to newly published research by Tel Aviv University based on radiocarbon dating and evidence unearthed in excavations, camels were not domesticated in the Land of Israel until the 10th century BC – several centuries after the time they appear in the Bible.

“In addition to challenging the Bible’s historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes,” the university said in a statement.

However, several scholars believe the study, by archaeologists Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen, adds little to our knowledge."

Biblical scholars today widely agree that there was never any mass migration of the proportions described in the Bible. It is estimated the diaspora would have numbered some 2 million people out of an entire Egyptian population in 1250 BC of around 3 to 3.5 million. _
_ Revered by the world’s three main monotheistic religions – Judaism, Islam and Christianity – Moses dominates as much as 15 percent of the entire Christian Bible, is a towering figure in the Hebrew Torah, and appears, by name, 136 times in the Koran – more than any other prophet.

He is the baby who escaped death in a purge of newborns by floating in a little basket of reeds on the Nile, the young man who, raised in the midst of Egypt’s royalty, took side with the Hebrew slaves. The leader who brought 2 million Hebrews out of bondage on the road to redemption and emancipation. The lawgiver who brought down, to a world filled with idols, the Ten Commandments and declared that God is one. The witness of extraordinary events: the devastating plagues, the burning bush, the parted sea, manna and dry rocks flowing with water. The intercessor between God and man, who died at the age of 120 never having entered the Promised Land. _
_ Although Moses remains a universal symbol of liberation, leadership and law, immortalized by Michelangelo, archaeologists and biblical critics argue that there is no direct evidence for his existence.

_Some details of his life, such as him as a baby floating on a basket in the Nile, appear to originate from earlier legends. _

_ The story of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, starting from Mary’s virginal conception to the arrival of the wise men visiting the infant in the Bethlehem stable, continues to be the subject of scholarly debate over its historical accuracy._

The Bible itself is filled with contradictions.

_According to the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus was born when Herod was king in Judea. But history records Herod’s death in 4 BC – full four years before Jesus was actually born. According to the Gospel of Luke, Jesus was born when Quirinius was governor of Syria. But historical accounts state that he didn’t become governor until 6 or 7 BC – again raising anachronistic objections. _

_While Luke reports that Mary and Joseph lived in Nazareth and moved to Bethlehem, where Jesus was born in a stable, Matthew accounts they lived in Bethlehem and moved to Nazareth after Jesus’ birth. _

_ Described in the four canonical gospels, referred to in writings by Paul the Apostle, Jesus’ death by crucifixion at the direction of Pontius Pilate has also been questioned. The main argument is that there is no first-hand witness for it._

As for physical evidence, a heated ongoing debate surrounds the Shroud of Turin, the piece of linen that that some believe to have been wrapped around Jesus’ body after the crucifixion and others debunk as a medieval fake following radiocarbon tests. The Vatican itself remains neutral on the issue."

1 Like

…and I did not hint that you considered evolution off topic. I simply stated that I think it is not. I also think its applicable to man in that we share something around 95% of our DNA with chimpanzees. That doesn’t mean that chimpanzees evolved into humans but does suggest a common ancestor from which we both evolved.

Evolutionary changes occur extremely slowly. Rather than post all these links to studies regarding human evolution, I’m posting a link to the search results for evolutionary changes in human organ sizes. Our brain size has been increasing, among other things…and I seem to recall reading elsewhere long ago that the size of the appendix has been decreasing because it aids in the digestion of raw meat and we no longer eat as much raw meat as humans did hundreds of thousands of years ago.

I won’t be doubting the historical places much if at all. Some events I may question regarding their being actual or allegorical. Persons and times are likely more accurately recorded except that I doubt any one person lived 900+ years. (perhaps a month was called a year…then 900 would be about 75 years…a more believable lifespan)

1 Like

What technology and patents are these? Usually government sells patents that they own, because they are prevented from making a profit on it themselves. And usually, it’s a sweet deal for some guy (or company) who’s well-connected.

Yes, my guess is that some sort of exodus occurred, and Moses probably existed, but the exact sequence of events described in the bible may be a little inaccurate. It’s doubtful (to me) that a huge crowd wandered the desert as described, it’s tough enough to sustain 10,000 people in a fertile area.

However, the ■■■■ took control of the Palestine area somehow, and it’s probably a good bet that battles like Jericho occurred, it’s just a little tougher to believe that the battle occurred exactly as described.

It’s probably impossible to validate, but my guess is that David actually killed a brute named Goliath.

You think that’s widely published or something? Look up sustainable energy, LLC. Many of the big companies have shell companies who buy these patents back from the government and then promptly bury them. You think we haven’t had the technology to break our dependency on fossil fuels for some time now?

Company A invents product that would potentially kill lobbying industry. Government buys patent. Government sells patent to shell company in lobbying industry. Lobbying industry buries said patent instead of developing new industry killing tech. Anyone else who tries to invent similar tech under said patent is sued by lobbying companies who bought patent. Status quo continues. Any questions?