How much of the bible is real history?

You still seem to be missing my point here.

You are attempting to have a conversation from within a secular frame of reference. In order to have that conversation, participants need to join you in that frame of reference. My point is that Christians won’t be joining you in your secular frame of reference, so no meaningful conversation can take place.

I understand your frustration, but I call them as I see them. :wink:

No that is not the point! You are the one is missing the larger point here! Go back to the top of the thread and reread the headliner. This is about whether or not the stories of the bible are true or not. If you can’t engage in the conversation based on the question posed then you are not being honest with your suppositions nor abe to defend your oral arguments! I am correct you are wrong! I am sorry that your ego will not allow you to see that broader point that I made and that is Language is indeed outdated! You have proven that point already! So thanks!

Persistence is a two-way street.

What you two are really arguing about is the difference between logic and faith. The Faithful believe the Bible is the word of God because the Bible says it is. The logicians say that is circular reasoning and, therefore, it is illogical. No amount of arguing is going to change either’s mind.

2 Likes

Need has nothing to do with it. On could just as easily ask, why does Christianity need to be defended? This is a discussion board. Differences of opinion are the meat and potatoes of discussion boards.

You might also take note of the Thread title and OP. What did you expect the discussion to be about when you came in and began posting?

Do you?

I’m curious to know which one that is, at least which one you think it is.

FYI I’ve read lots of philosophy and A J Ayer is one of my favorites. He’s more concise than most philosophers, if I remember correctly. It’s been awhile since I grappled with the turgid writings of philosophers.

No disagreement there

The topic had long since drifted from a discussion of the bible as a historical record to challenging one’s faith.

In regards to defending Christianity, I was simply responding to the statement that Christianity needed to be challenged. I still don’t have a clue as to why a non-believer feels the need to challenge ones faith in God.

Nope and that was never my intent.

Really? I only see one closed mind participating here.

Christ is the Son of God, accept it or don’t, that’s up to you but that is the foundation of the entire religion.

You should really try reading your own posts sometime.

He talks a lot about them, he just doesn’t have any to support his positions.

Regardless, that is the thread topic. It should come as no surprise to you that it is still a topic of discussion in this thread.

God is, was, and will be.

You are simply wrong. Genesis Ch1:v2 “… the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.”

That Is not a description of The Holy Ghost.

Please state the reasoning for that assertion.

Because the concept of the Holy Trinity did not arise until the time of Christ.

Many will disagree with that.

John 8:56-59 56Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad." 57"You are not yet fifty years old," they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” 58"Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, " before Abraham was born , I am!" 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

New International Version , Copyright 2011-2018 Biblica

How is that a refutation of the Holy Spirit?

Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit are synonymous.

A good read on the “Triune” nature of God.

https://answersingenesis.org/who-is-god/the-trinity/god-is-triune/