Coast Guard commandant confirms missed pay checks in letter to members

The Coast Guard originally fell under Treasury. I think it should be declared a fifth Armed Force. They work harder than a lot of the regular military on a regular basis. No disrespect to my fellow vets - I’ve just come to respect the Coast Guard tremendously over the years after two of my younger brothers joined (and are not being paid as we speak despite faithfully reporting for duty).

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/425460-coast-guard-head-says-branch-has-received-donations-as-members-miss-paychecks

Sucks for your brothers. Hopefully you and your fam are able to help them out. I read something about Trump making sure the Coast Guard was paid. Maybe there is a gap between the missed pay and him making that happen?? Personally, I would rather the Coast Guard’s functions were handled and managed by the states.

Your brothers need to hold out. This fight will ultimately make them safer. This isn’t something to end the shutdown over. 95% of the federal employees work for Deep State and vote Democrat. If they never go back to work, I don’t care.

I have no idea why the Coast Guard, Border Patrol and ICE Agents are considered “non-essential” and are not paid during a shut down.

Given what they do, they are absolutely essential.

2 Likes

This might be what brings Dems to the table. Trump only wants to fund what Congress has already voted on and approved. As I understand it this is the first time in USCG history that these brave servicemembers will have missed a paycheck. That doesn’t look good on them when Trump just wants money for what THEY approved.

All of our federal Military and LEO’s should be paid period. Fortunately they’ll all be paid when this is over unless the house specifically prevents it.

I know. Because it isn’t politically expedient.